Feb 22, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
The Cardinals were expecting Jaime Garcia to be in the mix for a rotation spot this spring after his injury-plagued 2013, but that’s not going to happen.
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Garcia felt shoulder soreness following a recent bullpen session and is scheduled fly to St. Louis tomorrow for an MRI. It’s a troubling development, as he required surgery to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder last May. Regardless of what doctors find, he’s considered unlikely to be ready for Opening Day.
While losing Garcia hurts, the Cardinals are well-equipped to deal with his absence. At this point, Lance Lynn is a pretty good bet for a rotation spot behind Adam Wainwright, Shelby Miller, and Michael Wacha, so that likely leaves Joe Kelly and Carlos Martinez competing for the fifth spot this spring.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)