Feb 22, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann signed a two-year, $24 million deal to avoid arbitration back in January. The right-hander, who has finished each of the past three seasons with an ERA of 3.25 or better, had been discussing a long-term deal with the organization, but the two sides were ultimately too far apart and agreed on the two-year deal to avoid the arbitration-related headaches.
“I really didn’t think about [Bailey]. I’m obviously happy for him. It’s well deserving,” Zimmermann said on Friday afternoon. “I’m locked up for two years and happy to be here for two years. What he does has no effect on me.”
Asked why he recently accepted the two-year extension, Zimmermann said, “The long-term deal wasn’t the right deal. It just didn’t work out. They came to us with a two-year deal. Let’s get this out of the way, so we don’t have to worry about arbitration for the next two years. We can just focus on baseball. We felt it was right, and I think it was fair for both sides, and we got the deal done.”
Zimmermann has quietly been one of baseball’s best pitchers since earning a spot in the Nats’ rotation back in 2011. In fact, among starters with at least 400 innings pitched since the start of 2011, Zimmermann’s 3.12 ERA is tied for sixth best in baseball, tied with Madison Bumgarner and teammate Gio Gonzalez.
It may not be today or even this time next year, but Zimmermann will eventually get his long-term contract. If not from the Nationals, then certainly elsewhere.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)