Feb 22, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann signed a two-year, $24 million deal to avoid arbitration back in January. The right-hander, who has finished each of the past three seasons with an ERA of 3.25 or better, had been discussing a long-term deal with the organization, but the two sides were ultimately too far apart and agreed on the two-year deal to avoid the arbitration-related headaches.
“I really didn’t think about [Bailey]. I’m obviously happy for him. It’s well deserving,” Zimmermann said on Friday afternoon. “I’m locked up for two years and happy to be here for two years. What he does has no effect on me.”
Asked why he recently accepted the two-year extension, Zimmermann said, “The long-term deal wasn’t the right deal. It just didn’t work out. They came to us with a two-year deal. Let’s get this out of the way, so we don’t have to worry about arbitration for the next two years. We can just focus on baseball. We felt it was right, and I think it was fair for both sides, and we got the deal done.”
Zimmermann has quietly been one of baseball’s best pitchers since earning a spot in the Nats’ rotation back in 2011. In fact, among starters with at least 400 innings pitched since the start of 2011, Zimmermann’s 3.12 ERA is tied for sixth best in baseball, tied with Madison Bumgarner and teammate Gio Gonzalez.
It may not be today or even this time next year, but Zimmermann will eventually get his long-term contract. If not from the Nationals, then certainly elsewhere.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)