Feb 22, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
Jurickson Profar was shut down earlier this week due to lingering tendinitis in his right shoulder, but Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that he was cleared to resume swinging a bat yesterday.
This is an encouraging development for Profar, though it’s unclear when he’ll be allowed to start throwing again. The original plan called for him to be shut down for at least one week.
The Rangers can’t afford any further setbacks with Profar, as they are counting on him to be their starting second baseman following the Ian Kinsler trade. The 21-year-old hit just .234/.308/.336 with six home runs and 26 RBI over 324 plate appearances in sporadic playing time last year, but the hope is that he’ll blossom as a regular.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)