Feb 22, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that the Orioles, Rangers, and a mystery team from the NL West team are very interested in free agent right-hander Ervin Santana. And while Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos continues to downplay the possibility, Rojas isn’t ready to rule out Toronto just yet.
The Rangers make sense as a possibility given Derek Holland‘s knee injury and Matt Harrison‘s continued back issues. The Orioles are already prepared to give up their first- and second-round picks for Ubaldo Jimenez and Nelson Cruz, so they’d surrender a third-round pick if they also sign Santana. Talk about going for broke. As for who the mystery NL West team could be, you can never rule out the Dodgers. The Rockies have the biggest need among the other teams in the division, though Santana would seem to be a poor fit for Coors Field.
Santana, 31, had a 3.24 ERA and 161/51 K/BB ratio over 211 innings with the Royals last season.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)