Feb 22, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that the Orioles, Rangers, and a mystery team from the NL West team are very interested in free agent right-hander Ervin Santana. And while Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos continues to downplay the possibility, Rojas isn’t ready to rule out Toronto just yet.
The Rangers make sense as a possibility given Derek Holland‘s knee injury and Matt Harrison‘s continued back issues. The Orioles are already prepared to give up their first- and second-round picks for Ubaldo Jimenez and Nelson Cruz, so they’d surrender a third-round pick if they also sign Santana. Talk about going for broke. As for who the mystery NL West team could be, you can never rule out the Dodgers. The Rockies have the biggest need among the other teams in the division, though Santana would seem to be a poor fit for Coors Field.
Santana, 31, had a 3.24 ERA and 161/51 K/BB ratio over 211 innings with the Royals last season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)