Feb 22, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
The Phillies broke their silence today on Oregon State left-hander Ben Wetzler, but if you were hoping for anything particularly interesting, you are probably going to be disappointed.
“The Phillies did participate in the NCAA investigation and a ruling has been issued. We believe it is inappropriate to comment further on either the negotiation with the player or the action taken by the NCAA.”
Thanks for managing to release a statement that says absolutely nothing beyond the obvious, Phillies. Well done.
Wetzler was suspended yesterday for 20 percent of the season — 11 games — for inappropriate contact with an agent, which is forbidden by the NCAA despite most draft prospects doing it anyway. The Phillies reportedly turned in Wetzler for his actions after they drafted him in the fifth round last June and were unable to work out a deal. Wetzler will be eligible to return to return to the field on March 3, so the suspension is a slap on the wrist for the player in the end, but this incident could still do real damage to the Phillies’ reputation in the industry.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 58
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)