Feb 22, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
Update: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that it is a minor league deal “stacked with incentives”. He adds that the Major League side of the deal is worth $2.5 million and includes an option and a buyout for the 2015 season.
Bailey, 29, spent the last two seasons with the Red Sox. In 2012, he missed the first 116 games of the season after undergoing surgery on his right thumb to repair the ulnar collateral ligament. He returned in August but struggled, posting a 7.04 ERA in 15 1/3 innings through the end of the season. In 2013, he started off strong but went on the disabled list in late April with a strained right biceps. In mid-July, he went on the shelf again, then underwent surgery on the 24th to repair the labrum and capsule in his right shoulder. He won’t be ready for the start of the 2014 regular season, but he is expected to return by mid-season.
Bailey does have a worrying injury history, but when he has been healthy, he has been effective. He won the AL Rookie of the Year award in 2009 with the Athletics, saving 26 games and posting a 1.84 ERA. The Yankees are hoping the right-hander can recapture some of that magic.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 8
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)