Feb 22, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
The Dodgers are set to open their season with a two-game series against the Diamondbacks at the Sydney Cricket Ground in Australia from March 22 and 23. Zack Greinke is tentatively scheduled pitch the second game of the series, but he told Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles today that he’s not looking forward to making the trip:
“I would say there is absolutely zero excitement for it,” Greinke told ESPNLosAngeles.com. “There just isn’t any excitement to it. I can’t think of one reason to be excited for it.”
Tell us how you really feel, Zack.
Greinke made sure to point out that he understands the series is “for the greater good of baseball,” but it’s easy to understand why he (and others who won’t go on the record) would be annoyed or inconvenienced by it. Players had to report to spring training earlier than normal and will receive fewer opportunities to play in exhibition games before the start of the season. They’ll also have to deal with some lag time between the end of the series in Australia and the traditional MLB Opening Day. The trip likely won’t have any bearing on how the season plays out for either team, but it’s just a weird way to begin the year. Of course, they are getting paid millions of dollars to play, so sympathies will be hard to come by.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 63
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)