Feb 23, 2014, 2:20 PM EST
From our friend Jeff Passan at Yahoo! Sports …
The Los Angeles Angels and star center fielder Mike Trout are discussing a six-year contract extension that would pay him in the range of $150 million, a source close to the negotiations told Yahoo Sports.
Passan says “the gap between the sides is in the low eight figures” and there is optimism that it will soon be bridged. Perhaps by the end of this month.
Trout is among the best players in baseball and doesn’t turn 23 years old until this August, but he’s not even arbitration-eligible yet and a $25-plus million average annual value on a six-year deal that will only cover two seasons of free agency seems ridiculous. Passan estimates that Trout’s salary in 2018 — the final year of this proposed six-year deal — could be as high as $38 million. We’ve reached new territory, people.
Trout, 22, owns a .314/.404/.544 career batting line through his first two major league seasons.
If the six-year deal is completed, Trout will be eligible to hit the open market at the ripe age of 28.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)