Feb 23, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
From our friend Jeff Passan at Yahoo! Sports …
The Los Angeles Angels and star center fielder Mike Trout are discussing a six-year contract extension that would pay him in the range of $150 million, a source close to the negotiations told Yahoo Sports.
Passan says “the gap between the sides is in the low eight figures” and there is optimism that it will soon be bridged. Perhaps by the end of this month.
Trout is among the best players in baseball and doesn’t turn 23 years old until this August, but he’s not even arbitration-eligible yet and a $25-plus million average annual value on a six-year deal that will only cover two seasons of free agency seems ridiculous. Passan estimates that Trout’s salary in 2018 — the final year of this proposed six-year deal — could be as high as $38 million. We’ve reached new territory, people.
Trout, 22, owns a .314/.404/.544 career batting line through his first two major league seasons.
If the six-year deal is completed, Trout will be eligible to hit the open market at the ripe age of 28.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)