Feb 23, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
From our friend Jeff Passan at Yahoo! Sports …
The Los Angeles Angels and star center fielder Mike Trout are discussing a six-year contract extension that would pay him in the range of $150 million, a source close to the negotiations told Yahoo Sports.
Passan says “the gap between the sides is in the low eight figures” and there is optimism that it will soon be bridged. Perhaps by the end of this month.
Trout is among the best players in baseball and doesn’t turn 23 years old until this August, but he’s not even arbitration-eligible yet and a $25-plus million average annual value on a six-year deal that will only cover two seasons of free agency seems ridiculous. Passan estimates that Trout’s salary in 2018 — the final year of this proposed six-year deal — could be as high as $38 million. We’ve reached new territory, people.
Trout, 22, owns a .314/.404/.544 career batting line through his first two major league seasons.
If the six-year deal is completed, Trout will be eligible to hit the open market at the ripe age of 28.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)