Feb 23, 2014, 11:25 AM EST
Some cool items were sold this weekend at a sports memorabilia auction in New York City. The product descriptions and winning bids come from Kevin Manahan at the Newark Star-Ledger …
- A 1911 game-used bat that belonged to “Shoeless” Joe Jackson was the highest-grossing item at $958,000.
- Babe Ruth’s commemorative pocket watch from the 1923 World Series, made of 14-karat gold, sold for $717,000.
- Shards of the broken bat Yankees pitcher Roger Clemens threw at Mike Piazza during the 2000 Subway Series went for $47,500.
On the non-baseball side: boxing gloves worn by Muhammad Ali when he upset heavyweight champion Sonny Liston in 1964 sold for $836,500. Ali still went by Cassius Clay at the time of that fight.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)