Cory Lidle statue vandalized in California

Feb 23, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT

West Covina PD West Covina PD

A statue of former major league pitcher Cory Lidle was toppled by thieves late last week outside Big League Dream Park in West Covina, California. Three bronze plaques — valued at $6,000 — were stolen, and the statue itself was filled with drill holes.

“The vandalism to the Cory Lidle statue is a deplorable act by some despicable human beings,” West Covina City Mayor Steve Herfert told CBS Los Angeles. “To damage a statue memorializing the life of Cory Lidle is very personal to all of our residents. Cory’s life represents the hopes and dreams of every baseball player and kind person in our City.”

No suspects had been identified by West Covina Police as of Sunday morning.

Lidle, a native of Hollywood, California, died in 2006 when a plane he was piloting crashed into a high-rise on the east side of Manhattan. The right-hander made 277 career appearances at the major league level.

1. mybrunoblog - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM

The bronze was likely stolen to be sold as scrap. It is an expensive metal. Maybe they were trying to drill the statute to break it down to remove it in an act of theft. Pretty disgusting. No video surveillance? Time to upgrade the security boys.
    I feel bad for lidle’s family, this has to hurt them.

• angrytwitterguy - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Yup, probably crack or meth heads, they went out a stole a drill and went to what they call “work”. You know they stole the drill because they sold their own drill a long time ago.

2. jordera22 - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Actually Lidle passed away in 2006.

3. aztaxia12295 - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM

He died in 2006…
    Edit: you changed it thank goodness

• ltzep75 - Feb 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM

What’s this “Edit” you speak of?

• biasedhomer - Feb 23, 2014 at 2:32 PM

How can you edit comments here, unless of course you put that in your original reply.

• tuberippin - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM

What sorcery is this?!

4. jordera22 - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Quick correction.

5. clydeserra - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM

meh, I am sure they can find a replacement.

6. echech88 - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Restore it bigger and better than ever (with discrete surveillance installed of course).

7. boiledgoose - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Sickening. It seems like humanity gets more twisted by the day.

• angrytwitterguy - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Thing is, the thieves most likely never gave a thought to what the statues represents. They just see it as money being left out in the street waiting for them to cash in on it.

Nothing twisted about it, just thieves doing what thieves do.

• historiophiliac - Feb 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Once when I worked for the state, we came in one day to discover a government car up on blocks in the parking lot. They took the wheels. It was hilarious. That’s some bold thievery.

• NatsLady - Feb 23, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Happened to me once. Thieves took a tire off my car and left their tire (flat). I figure that was more like drunks… Anyway, I got a parking spot ($$) in my building lot, and quit parking on the street after that.

• cohnjusack - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I would use the evidence of mankind killing each less than at virtually any point in history as the *opposite* of becoming more twisted, but I can understand how all that can all be washed away because a statue was vandalized by a couple of d-bags.

• historiophiliac - Feb 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM

You cannot reason away the Apocalypse.

• mtr75 - Feb 24, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Wow, there’s evidence of this? I’m dying to know what it is. Actually, the people that are dying are in Congo, South Sudan, Somalia, Syria, Libya, North Korea,..

8. garypagetwo - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM

can’t blame them . I blame Obama

• jimeejohnson - Feb 23, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Bush and those dicks, Cheney and Nixon.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 23, 2014 at 12:13 PM

“Lil” gw bush-League and those dicks, Cheney and Nixon.

• whiskey4breakfast - Feb 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM

George Washington. The Redcoats. Christopher Columbus.

• historiophiliac - Feb 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Alexander “A-hole” Hamilton

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Someone has to have the guts to blame the real villain: Franklin Pierce.

No #14, no Corey Lidle vandalism. Its that simple!

9. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 23, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Terrible thing no doubt but I gotta ask the obvious question here….Why does he have a statue? Was his playing career that much better then I remember?

• angrytwitterguy - Feb 23, 2014 at 11:56 AM

To the people of West Covina he mattered enough for a statue.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 23, 2014 at 12:14 PM

A pea brain hater like you would fail to understand why his hometown honored him. Typical New Yawk LOSER!

• therooneyskilledwebster - Feb 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Now let’s be fair. Harry’s numerous accomplishments are celebrated daily with “statues” built of his likeness in toilets throughout the country.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I was not slamming the guy I was just asking why.

• raysfan1 - Feb 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Apparently he was active in charity work. The Cory Lidle Foundation continues to be active and hosts a baseball tournament at that park in his home town annually, with the proceeds going to charity also.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 23, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I respect that answer, I am not from the west coast so I didn’t know thanks for a normal reply here. I thought he did a decent job for the Yanks and was a ok pitcher I just didn’t know what the statue was about.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:08 PM

FWIW, I also was initially curious why as well, and as such understood your question for what it was. No reason for you to get slammed – innocent and legit Q.

But ah, misunderstandings are what HBT are all about :)

10. historiophiliac - Feb 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Dear Americans:

Please stop attacking statues. This is why we can’t have public history. Sheesh.

• infieldhit - Feb 23, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Well, I guess that settles that problem.

• historiophiliac - Feb 23, 2014 at 2:43 PM

You’re welcome.

11. moogro - Feb 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I noticed a couple missing bronze plaques from statues in Little Toyko in LA recently also. Targeting the bronze?

• historiophiliac - Feb 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Perhaps we have moved on from copper thefts.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate