Feb 23, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports suggests that free agents Ervin Santana, Stephen Drew, and Kendrys Morales could all sit out until after the draft in June, when draft pick compensation would disappear. We learned yesterday that Santana was considering waiting until June, but it is no surprise that Drew and Morales may join him.
Rosenthal adds that even if the trio doesn’t make it to June, simply sitting out until after Opening Day would have a benefit because it would render their teams unable to make a qualifying offer. Thus, when they become free agents again after the season, there won’t be any draft pick compensation tied to them.
The draft pick compensation system has drawn a lot of criticism recently, including from Drew, but changes are unlikely to be made until after the current collective bargaining agreement expires after the 2016 season.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)