Feb 23, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
So, uh, this is some pretty disturbing news for the Rockies …
RHP Jhoulys Chacin will undergo a MRI tomorrow because of right shoulder inflammation. He will be shut down until further notice.
— Colorado Rockies (@Rockies) February 23, 2014
Our own Matthew Pouliot estimates that Chacin is the third-most important player on Colorado’s roster, behind only Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez, and notes that the rotation without him goes Jorge De La Rosa, Tyler Chatwood, Brett Anderson, Juan Nicasio, then either Jordan Lyles or Franklin Morales.
The Rockies have a nice-looking offense, but it’s hard to see them competing with that group of starters.
Chacin, 26, posted a 3.47 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, and 126/61 K/BB ratio across 197 1/3 innings last season.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 1
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)