Feb 23, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
So, uh, this is some pretty disturbing news for the Rockies …
RHP Jhoulys Chacin will undergo a MRI tomorrow because of right shoulder inflammation. He will be shut down until further notice.
— Colorado Rockies (@Rockies) February 23, 2014
Our own Matthew Pouliot estimates that Chacin is the third-most important player on Colorado’s roster, behind only Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez, and notes that the rotation without him goes Jorge De La Rosa, Tyler Chatwood, Brett Anderson, Juan Nicasio, then either Jordan Lyles or Franklin Morales.
The Rockies have a nice-looking offense, but it’s hard to see them competing with that group of starters.
Chacin, 26, posted a 3.47 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, and 126/61 K/BB ratio across 197 1/3 innings last season.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 16
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)