Feb 23, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
So, uh, this is some pretty disturbing news for the Rockies …
RHP Jhoulys Chacin will undergo a MRI tomorrow because of right shoulder inflammation. He will be shut down until further notice.
— Colorado Rockies (@Rockies) February 23, 2014
Our own Matthew Pouliot estimates that Chacin is the third-most important player on Colorado’s roster, behind only Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez, and notes that the rotation without him goes Jorge De La Rosa, Tyler Chatwood, Brett Anderson, Juan Nicasio, then either Jordan Lyles or Franklin Morales.
The Rockies have a nice-looking offense, but it’s hard to see them competing with that group of starters.
Chacin, 26, posted a 3.47 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, and 126/61 K/BB ratio across 197 1/3 innings last season.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)