Feb 23, 2014, 4:11 PM EST
So, uh, this is some pretty disturbing news for the Rockies …
RHP Jhoulys Chacin will undergo a MRI tomorrow because of right shoulder inflammation. He will be shut down until further notice.
— Colorado Rockies (@Rockies) February 23, 2014
Our own Matthew Pouliot estimates that Chacin is the third-most important player on Colorado’s roster, behind only Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez, and notes that the rotation without him goes Jorge De La Rosa, Tyler Chatwood, Brett Anderson, Juan Nicasio, then either Jordan Lyles or Franklin Morales.
The Rockies have a nice-looking offense, but it’s hard to see them competing with that group of starters.
Chacin, 26, posted a 3.47 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, and 126/61 K/BB ratio across 197 1/3 innings last season.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)