Feb 23, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
So, uh, this is some pretty disturbing news for the Rockies …
RHP Jhoulys Chacin will undergo a MRI tomorrow because of right shoulder inflammation. He will be shut down until further notice.
— Colorado Rockies (@Rockies) February 23, 2014
Our own Matthew Pouliot estimates that Chacin is the third-most important player on Colorado’s roster, behind only Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez, and notes that the rotation without him goes Jorge De La Rosa, Tyler Chatwood, Brett Anderson, Juan Nicasio, then either Jordan Lyles or Franklin Morales.
The Rockies have a nice-looking offense, but it’s hard to see them competing with that group of starters.
Chacin, 26, posted a 3.47 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, and 126/61 K/BB ratio across 197 1/3 innings last season.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)