Feb 23, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press has the story:
Let that sink in for a moment.
Mauer didn’t do much swinging on this day, but afterwards he sounded pleased to cross off another milestone in his return from that career-altering concussion of Aug. 19.
“Just like every first spring training day ever,” Mauer said after the workout. “It seems like that ball is coming in there a lot quicker than it normally does, but it was good. It was good to get out there. Everything went well today.”
The 30-year-old is being moved permanently to first base this season to preserve his health.
He hit .324/.404/.476 with 11 homers and 47 RBI in 113 games last year for the 66-96 Twins.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 7
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 2
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 7
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)