Feb 23, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press has the story:
Let that sink in for a moment.
Mauer didn’t do much swinging on this day, but afterwards he sounded pleased to cross off another milestone in his return from that career-altering concussion of Aug. 19.
“Just like every first spring training day ever,” Mauer said after the workout. “It seems like that ball is coming in there a lot quicker than it normally does, but it was good. It was good to get out there. Everything went well today.”
The 30-year-old is being moved permanently to first base this season to preserve his health.
He hit .324/.404/.476 with 11 homers and 47 RBI in 113 games last year for the 66-96 Twins.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 31
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 41
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)