Feb 23, 2014, 9:01 AM EST
Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press has the story:
Let that sink in for a moment.
Mauer didn’t do much swinging on this day, but afterwards he sounded pleased to cross off another milestone in his return from that career-altering concussion of Aug. 19.
“Just like every first spring training day ever,” Mauer said after the workout. “It seems like that ball is coming in there a lot quicker than it normally does, but it was good. It was good to get out there. Everything went well today.”
The 30-year-old is being moved permanently to first base this season to preserve his health.
He hit .324/.404/.476 with 11 homers and 47 RBI in 113 games last year for the 66-96 Twins.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)