Feb 23, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Cubs prospect Mike Olt had a rough 2013. He posted a meager .739 OPS with the Rangers’ Triple-A affiliate in Round Rock. Then the Rangers traded him to the Cubs in the Matt Garza deal. With Triple-A Iowa, Olt posted a .551 OPS in 152 plate appearances. He was bothered by vision issues, a symptom of a concussion he suffered after getting hit by a pitch while playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic.
According to ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers, Olt’s vision problems have cleared up and he’s ready to bounce back in 2014.
“I don’t mind answering [the question, “How are you seeing the ball?”] anymore,” Olt says. “Last year was so stressful because we didn’t know what was going on. I don’t mind answering that this year because I’m better.”
Olt has only taken batting practice against coaches and a few rips against Cubs pitchers, but already he knows he feels better than a year ago. Now it’s about finding his swing again — he hit 28 home runs at Double-A for Texas in 2012.
“I haven’t had any problems so far,” he said.
Rogers notes that Olt, a third baseman by trade, has been taking grounders at first base to make himself more versatile to the team. Luis Valbuena is expected to start the season as the team’s everyday third baseman. The Cubs would love nothing more than for Olt to have a great spring and give them a tough decision to make at the hot corner.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)