Feb 23, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Cubs prospect Mike Olt had a rough 2013. He posted a meager .739 OPS with the Rangers’ Triple-A affiliate in Round Rock. Then the Rangers traded him to the Cubs in the Matt Garza deal. With Triple-A Iowa, Olt posted a .551 OPS in 152 plate appearances. He was bothered by vision issues, a symptom of a concussion he suffered after getting hit by a pitch while playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic.
According to ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers, Olt’s vision problems have cleared up and he’s ready to bounce back in 2014.
“I don’t mind answering [the question, “How are you seeing the ball?”] anymore,” Olt says. “Last year was so stressful because we didn’t know what was going on. I don’t mind answering that this year because I’m better.”
Olt has only taken batting practice against coaches and a few rips against Cubs pitchers, but already he knows he feels better than a year ago. Now it’s about finding his swing again — he hit 28 home runs at Double-A for Texas in 2012.
“I haven’t had any problems so far,” he said.
Rogers notes that Olt, a third baseman by trade, has been taking grounders at first base to make himself more versatile to the team. Luis Valbuena is expected to start the season as the team’s everyday third baseman. The Cubs would love nothing more than for Olt to have a great spring and give them a tough decision to make at the hot corner.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)