Feb 23, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Cubs prospect Mike Olt had a rough 2013. He posted a meager .739 OPS with the Rangers’ Triple-A affiliate in Round Rock. Then the Rangers traded him to the Cubs in the Matt Garza deal. With Triple-A Iowa, Olt posted a .551 OPS in 152 plate appearances. He was bothered by vision issues, a symptom of a concussion he suffered after getting hit by a pitch while playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic.
According to ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers, Olt’s vision problems have cleared up and he’s ready to bounce back in 2014.
“I don’t mind answering [the question, "How are you seeing the ball?"] anymore,” Olt says. “Last year was so stressful because we didn’t know what was going on. I don’t mind answering that this year because I’m better.”
Olt has only taken batting practice against coaches and a few rips against Cubs pitchers, but already he knows he feels better than a year ago. Now it’s about finding his swing again — he hit 28 home runs at Double-A for Texas in 2012.
“I haven’t had any problems so far,” he said.
Rogers notes that Olt, a third baseman by trade, has been taking grounders at first base to make himself more versatile to the team. Luis Valbuena is expected to start the season as the team’s everyday third baseman. The Cubs would love nothing more than for Olt to have a great spring and give them a tough decision to make at the hot corner.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 27
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)