White Sox broadcasts to include more Sabermetrics

Feb 23, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT

Jim Margalus of South Side Sox, transcribing an interview with Steve Stone on the Boers and Bernstein Show on 670 The Score, writes that White Sox broadcasts will include more Sabermetrics during the 2014 season. A snippet of the interview provided by Margalus:

Stone: I just want to mention one thing that you’ll be really interested in. I have actually been studying up, and will continue to, because we’re going to kind of introduce — we might not call it this because this is, y’know, the evil empire — but we’re going to introduce some sabermetrics into the broadcast this year.

Bernstein: /exaggerated gasp

Stone: We’re going to actually explain to our viewers a bit about how it’s used as a tool, and try to explain that it’s not *the* tool, but it’s *a* tool, and used correctly.

Stone cited Wins Above Replacement (WAR), batting average on balls in play (BABIP), and defensive runs saved (DRS). You can imagine Hawk Harrelson’s enthusiasm right now.

1. arizonagrit - Feb 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Oh this is just precious.

2. doctorofsmuganomics - Feb 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM

That

sounds awful

3. themanytoolsofignorance - Feb 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Oh yes? So they’re dragging Hawk Herrelson kicking and screaming into this decade of analysis, are they? Well that’s good. I guess. So long as he’s being dragged I suppose thats very good.

4. Bryz - Feb 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

So Twins broadcasts will now be behind the White Sox in using sabermetrics. Greaaaaaaaat.

• happytwinsfan - Feb 23, 2014 at 8:08 PM

at least the center field camera at target field is one of only two or three last i heard that shows the strike zone straight on instead of off center for aesthetic effect. that should hold old bert a little closer to the truth then otherwise.

5. bringbackkosar - Feb 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

The Hawk’s head will explode, worth tuning in for! His last words: TWTW

• tuberippin - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I look forward to reading about Hawk Harrelson’s on-air suicide around mid-July.

6. chacochicken - Feb 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Any time I here these guys try to explain their use of the dreaded “s” word it make me cringe and think of this.

7. paperlions - Feb 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Fantastic, I can only imagine that their explanations will be clear, concise, and accurate…what with their personal expertise in the area and all.

8. 14thinningstretch - Feb 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM

I can’t decide if I’d rather hear Hawk Harrelson or Tim McCarver explain BABIP/WAR/FIP/etc.

• cohnjusack - Feb 23, 2014 at 10:46 PM

McCarver!

I can hear the quote now.

“BABIP stands for Batting Average on Balls in Play. That means, it measures what a players batting average is on balls he hits in play”.

• moogro - Feb 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Nice, I heard that cornpone in my head.

9. esracerx46 - Feb 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Is TWTW a new sabermetric?

10. jcmeyer10 - Feb 23, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Hawk will talk sabermetrics like a child being forced to apologize.

11. ch0psuey - Feb 23, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Great Sabernerds rejoice /end sarcasm.

12. dinofrank60 - Feb 23, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Great.

You’re going to drag these guys kicking and screaming into introducing this.

Like some people, who feel that they have to introduce this stuff, they won’t know what they’re talking about. It’s jarring to hear Gammons or the like spout the stats.

You’re going to have a whole bunch of ChiSox fans who won’t care about these stats, they care about Adam Dunn striking out 200 times a year and hitting under .220.

• Bryz - Feb 23, 2014 at 7:56 PM

He’s been worth -1.4 WAR for the Sox through three years of his contract, frankly there’s no way sabermetrics can save him from the traditional stats.

• dinofrank60 - Feb 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Never fear, somebody will find a way. 108 walks a year, he’s a superstar!!!

13. sumerduckman - Feb 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM

“Sit back. relax and strap it down to the Pythagorean expectation”

14. markofapro - Feb 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM

So?

15. andreweac - Feb 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Stats that require anything more than math skills past 5th grade lack the will to win.

16. mrpinkca - Feb 24, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Someone’s teaching Hawk OBP?

17. kicksave1980 - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Why? I don’t watch games to “learn” something about baseball. This is why I hate 2 and 3 man booths. Describe the game, maybe throw an OCCASIONAL story in the mix. I don’t need to be educated on numbers for 3 hours a night.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I don’t need to be educated on numbers for 3 hours a night.

How to calculate SLG%:

((1b)+(2b*2)+(3b*3)+(HR*4))/AB

How to calculate OBP:

(H+HBP+BB)/(AB+BB+HBP+SF)

Almost every time you bring up a statistic in baseball, you are using math. Let’s not pretend like the “traditional” statistics are just counting numbers.

18. 18thstreet - Feb 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I really like the advanced new statistics, but it’s hard to envision them being used effectively in a game. I would like the announcers to be fluent in them so that they can say things like “Saltalamacchia’s put up good numbers this year, but he’s been a little lucky with seeing-eye singles.” That would be easier on the ears than “Saltalamacchia has a BAPIP of .372.” Or they could say, “It may surprise a lot of people that Andrelton Simmons is just as valuable as Ian Desmond, who is obviously a much better hitter. But Simmons’s glove has been good enough to make up most of the difference.”

I’d prefer the say things that are true (that are borne out by the numbers) instead of actually quoting the numbers themselves. A lot of the concepts are pretty easy to understand, even if the numbers themselves are foreign.

All I actually want is for the numbers that they share to be relevant. The MASN announcers love to talk about how a certain player has great numbers after the 7th inning with runners on base, so he’s the guy you want up there right now. Well, no. I’d rather have the best hitter up there. I don’t think it’s too much to ask to rely on lefty-righty splits more often than they do, or to include OBP and SLG whenever they put up batting average.

19. gret9 - Feb 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I’m a White Sox fan and every year it gets harder to watch them on TV because of the Hawk’s pontificating. I do enjoy his ‘You can put it on the board’ home run call, but the rest of it is just brutal imho.

I wish we had a quality PBP guy like Don Orsillo, I would think I died and went to heaven.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5171)