Feb 23, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Jim Margalus of South Side Sox, transcribing an interview with Steve Stone on the Boers and Bernstein Show on 670 The Score, writes that White Sox broadcasts will include more Sabermetrics during the 2014 season. A snippet of the interview provided by Margalus:
Stone: I just want to mention one thing that you’ll be really interested in. I have actually been studying up, and will continue to, because we’re going to kind of introduce — we might not call it this because this is, y’know, the evil empire — but we’re going to introduce some sabermetrics into the broadcast this year.
Bernstein: /exaggerated gasp
Stone: We’re going to actually explain to our viewers a bit about how it’s used as a tool, and try to explain that it’s not *the* tool, but it’s *a* tool, and used correctly.
Stone cited Wins Above Replacement (WAR), batting average on balls in play (BABIP), and defensive runs saved (DRS). You can imagine Hawk Harrelson’s enthusiasm right now.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 20
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 46
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)