Feb 23, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Jim Margalus of South Side Sox, transcribing an interview with Steve Stone on the Boers and Bernstein Show on 670 The Score, writes that White Sox broadcasts will include more Sabermetrics during the 2014 season. A snippet of the interview provided by Margalus:
Stone: I just want to mention one thing that you’ll be really interested in. I have actually been studying up, and will continue to, because we’re going to kind of introduce — we might not call it this because this is, y’know, the evil empire — but we’re going to introduce some sabermetrics into the broadcast this year.
Bernstein: /exaggerated gasp
Stone: We’re going to actually explain to our viewers a bit about how it’s used as a tool, and try to explain that it’s not *the* tool, but it’s *a* tool, and used correctly.
Stone cited Wins Above Replacement (WAR), batting average on balls in play (BABIP), and defensive runs saved (DRS). You can imagine Hawk Harrelson’s enthusiasm right now.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 7
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 10
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)