Feb 24, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
Colby Lewis has missed nearly two years following elbow surgery and a hip replacement, but the 34-year-old right-hander is finally ready for game action again in Rangers camp.
Lewis, who re-signed with Texas on a minor-league contract, is scheduled to pitch in an intrasquad game Tuesday. Here’s what he told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com about his status:
The Rangers have been gracious to give me another opportunity this year to try to make the club. That’s all I can do is go out there and perform with what I’ve got. If it’s good enough, I’ll make the club. If it’s not, we’ll see what’s out there.
Which seems to suggest he’d rather opt out of the contract than accept an assignment to Triple-A if he doesn’t crack the Opening Day roster. Lewis’ deal would be worth $2 million in upfront money if he makes the team, plus another $4 million in potential incentives.
His entire career has been full of injuries, so Lewis is definitely someone to root for. Prior to the latest injury setbacks he threw 506 innings with a 3.93 ERA for the Rangers from 2011-2013.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)