Ike Davis had an oblique injury last season that, apparently, no one knew about

Feb 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

ike davis mets getty Getty Images

There’s a story in the New York Post today in which Ike Davis is quoted as saying that last season, just around the time he was sent down to Triple-A Las Vegas, he was suffering from an oblique injury that he felt required a stint on the DL. When he found out he was being demoted, however, he kept the injury to himself because he didn’t want it to appear as though he was trying to avoid the demotion due to an invented or over-sold injury:

“I thought about saying, ‘Hey, I would like to take a couple of weeks off, because I’m not feeling great,’ ” Davis said. “But then the timing was bad and it was when I was getting sent down. It would have been a great time, but it looks bad and I just can’t say that.”

OK, makes sense. Except this morning Davis is angry at the story:

Mike Puma wrote the Post report. He may work for the Post, but he’s generally an accurate reporter who doesn’t get all New York Posty about most things. My guess: the upshot is correct: Davis had an injury he kept to himself and, yesterday, did offer it up as a partial explanation for his bad 2013. Then Davis didn’t like how what he said yesterday looked in print today and is doing some damage control lest anyone think he was making excuses.

Today everyone will probably talk about Ike Davis and his reaction. But the bigger and more interesting thing here is that, based on the Post report, Terry Collins was unaware of the injury until he was asked about Davis’ comments yesterday. And no matter what Davis is saying now about how it all went down, it does appear that he was injured and the Mets coaches and training staff didn’t know about it.

Mets fans: you cool with that? Because that seems kind of problematic.

1. sdelmonte - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:12 AM

I don’t blame the coaches. It’s not their job to look at a player and say, oh he must be injured. There is a long history of players in all sports successfully hiding injury from others, and I have no reason to think that Collins and his staff have some magic power to spot them.

Trainers and doctors, on the other hands…well, this ties into the rather long history of mishandled medical care that left Beltran so bitter and so on. And it really is their job to go further than the coaches in looking at a player’s body. It’s fair to say that the Mets are not getting their money’s worth from the medical team, and there continues to be room to question whatever deal they have with the Hospital for Special Surgery.

And I am not letting Ike off the hook. I get that he thought it was the best thing for his career to not make excuses. But injury is not an excuse, it’s a reason. He should have been up front, and maybe last season would have turned out better. I like Ike. I still think his good stretches are not an illusion. But if he wants to make it in the majors, no matter where he ends up, he’s got to make a few adjustments in his mindset. (FWIW, I think it likely the Mets trade him next month.)

• robmoore - Feb 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM

The coaches and the manager can set the tone that causes the player to feel that they need to keep things like this to themselves, however. This may or may not tie into other issues like their overall medical staff.

2. xdj511 - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:22 AM

If it were me, I’d rather point to an oblique injury to highlight my struggles instead of letting everybody think that I sucked.

The whole thing smells funny to me, like revisionist history. Well, yeah, I didn’t play good, but it was because I was hurt. Yeah, that’s it.

I think the Mets do neet to cut ties with him. He has shown flashes of being a star, but how much injury and illness and overall drama do Mets fans have to suffer through in the hopes he’ll return to his second half of 2012 form?

3. dan1111 - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM

“Mets fans: you cool with that? Because that seems kind of problematic.”

If this is supposed to imply that it was a failure of the training staff, that is…kind of problematic. There are some injuries that are literally impossible to diagnose if the individual does not report the symptoms. A strained oblique, depending on the severity, is likely in this category. Unless it is so bad that the person can’t move normally, the only way to tell is from the pain. And in a 162 game season, athletes have lots of aches and pains; you can’t expect them to diagnose a problem just because a player looks a little stiff or grimaces on a play.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM

And even if the injury was so severe that it was changing his swing, the fact that he changed his swing about 85 times last season anyway would have obscured that fact.

4. chip56 - Feb 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM

If you listen to the audio of Davis responding to the report:

a) saying he “went off” on Puma is blowing it out of proportion
    b) What he said was that going into the interview he told Puma, “I don’t know why you’re even bothering to write this. The injury was what it was but it’s not the reason I sucked. I sucked because I sucked.”

So he wasn’t making excuses and, in fact, thought so little of it that, in his mind, it was a non-story. That’s the part (again referencing the audio) that Davis was most upset about – that the fact that he told Puma multiple times that he wasn’t using the injury as an excuse, never made it into the story.

5. bostonboresme - Feb 24, 2014 at 11:58 AM

He was “injured.”

6. riggz91 - Feb 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I read the NY Post for sports, I think all of their beat guys and opinion guys do a good job. Better then reading that blow hard Lupica switching back and forth from sports to politics, both of which he seems to know little about.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM

If I was a Met, I think I might avoid the medical staff at all costs. I don’t know if they have turned over many of the positions recently, but all of that stuff from Beltran, Reyes, Santana, Wright etc etc getting the wrong diagnosis then getting re-injured would scare me away.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3071)