Feb 24, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
A bad mattress recently caused some back stiffness for Matt Harrison, but Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that an MRI came back negative and that the southpaw is expected to resume a throwing program on Thursday.
While Harrison isn’t expected to be ready for Opening Day, this still qualifies as good news for the Rangers. There was obvious cause for concern about his symptoms coming off a pair of surgeries last year to repair a herniated disk in his back, but the hope is that a nerve-blocking injection for his neck will get him back on the mound soon. Assuming Harrison makes solid progress, he should be able to join the Rangers’ rotation at some point in April.
Harrison, 28, was limited to just two starts with the Rangers last season. He went 18-11 with a 3.29 ERA in 32 starts in 2012.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)