Feb 24, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Pittsburgh claimed Brent Morel off waivers after the third baseman was designated for assignment by Toronto.
Morel was the White Sox’s starting third baseman as a 24-year-old rookie in 2011, but hit just .245 with a .653 OPS in 126 games and has played sparingly in the majors since then. Chicago waived him in December after he hit .266 with six homers and a .751 OPS at Triple-A last season.
He’ll compete for a spot on the Pirates’ bench, but seems destined to wind up back in the minors or on the waiver wire again.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 0
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 32
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 61
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 12
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)