Feb 24, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Pittsburgh claimed Brent Morel off waivers after the third baseman was designated for assignment by Toronto.
Morel was the White Sox’s starting third baseman as a 24-year-old rookie in 2011, but hit just .245 with a .653 OPS in 126 games and has played sparingly in the majors since then. Chicago waived him in December after he hit .266 with six homers and a .751 OPS at Triple-A last season.
He’ll compete for a spot on the Pirates’ bench, but seems destined to wind up back in the minors or on the waiver wire again.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)