Ron Washington: “They can take the analytics on that and shove it up their [bleep][bleep].”

Feb 24, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

ron washington getty Getty Images

Ron Washington likes to bunt. A lot of people hate bunting. Sometimes, people try to tell Ron Washington that he shouldn’t bunt. This is what happens when they tell him that:

“I think if they try to do that, they’re going to be telling me how to [bleep] manage,” Washington said. “That’s the way I answer that [bleep] question. They can take the analytics on that and shove it up their [bleep][bleep].”

Washington has heard all the moans and complaints about his bunting.

“Mike Scioscia dropped 56 sacrifice bunts on his club, the most in the league, and he’s a genius,” Washington continued. “But Ron Washington dropped 53 and he’s bunting too much? You can take that analytics and shove it.”

Well, Mike Scioscia bunts too much too.

1. chill1184 - Feb 24, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Cant hate the guy for being honest

2. themanytoolsofignorance - Feb 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I never understand all the Ron Washington hate. He’s thad winning teams for 5 of his 7 season. Each of his losing seasons had steady improvement. He’s got his club to the post season 3 times and the WS twice. Only Jonny Oats has ever got that club to put up the win totals he has and he did it only three times in 7 seasons. No one else is really close to any of Washington’s 5 winning years. Fire him? for what? To go back to losing seasons “the right way”?

• raysfan1 - Feb 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM

I think he’s a pretty decent manager overall, other than bunting too much and over-managing his pitching staff (he’s far from alone on that one in emulating my main irritation with Tony Larussa). However, another year or two of not making the playoffs, or even getting bounced early, and I bet he does get let go in favor of “trying to get to the next level.”

• themanytoolsofignorance - Feb 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM

If he’s getting them to the playoffs, why bounce him? No one bounced Bobby Cox and he did about the same with the Braves as what Washington’s doing with the Rangers.

• raysfan1 - Feb 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I put “trying to get to the next level” in quotes for a reason–namely that I disagree with the reasoning. However, fans and front offices often become spoiled over time. They see they went to the WS a few years ago but haven’t won the division the last two and lost the wild card game two years ago. If the Rangers do not win their division or at least past the wild card game, I do think the pressure will begin to mount, fair or not. (The difference with Bobby Cox was the Braves winning their division every year and winning one WS.)

3. kwhyh8strm - Feb 24, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Leave my man alone! Any brother who has an afro with a hole in it, is all right by me!

4. wildbillsrodeo - Feb 26, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Washington’s soon-to-be-released memoirs… “I’ll Be Blunt With You: Blunts, Bunts, and My Life in Baseball”

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3641)