Feb 24, 2014, 11:03 AM EST
This is pretty fascinating. Baseball’s Official Historian John Thorn writes today about how our nation’s 28th president may very well have been something of a fantasy baseball player. As in: he fantasized about baseball results and wrote up statistical summaries and phony newspaper reports about the imaginary exploits — in 1871:
Claire Dekle from the Library’s Preservation Department was able to procure images of the entire “Proffessional Record” for me, and then the real fun began. Wilson’s recording of detail was thorough in the extreme—not only in the presentation of box scores but also in the clubs’ year-end summaries, which split out earned runs scored and allowed and detail individual batting and fielding totals and averages in the manner of the day . . . This was the record of a magical mystery tour, played between the young Wilson’s ears.
Wilson was 15 at the time. And he was doing what a lot of us did with Strat-o-Matic cards or computer simulations or other faux-baseball pursuits. And the result, if not the process, is a lot like many people’s sim or fantasy baseball teams.
Wilson: polarizing president, namesake of my high school and a total baseball geek 143 years ago.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)