Feb 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
We laugh at the Best Shape of His Life reports and we shake our heads in confusion at how someone like Jesus Montero can’t seem to take care of himself. But despite its status as an amusing spring training evergreen, player weight it a big deal to them and their teams.
Adam Kilgore wrote a story about it over the weekend. About how the balance is so critical for some players. A pound or two in either direction and they either aren’t at their optimum shape or else they at least don’t feel as though they are. In a world where men believe their performance is impacted by how long their socks are, it’s not at all surprising that so many of them would obsess on whether they weigh 197 or 198.
So yes, while it is fun to mock the notion of player weight being some rock solid predictor of a bounceback season, the subject itself is no laughing matter for most of these guys.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)