Feb 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
No catcher logs more time behind the plate than Yadier Molina, but the Cardinals are taking steps to cut back his workload this season.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Molina won’t be in the lineup for Friday’s spring training opener and the team’s plan is to play him sparingly early in the exhibition season.
We’ll see what happens once the games actually mean something–Goold notes that Molina got a grand total of one day off in the Cardinals’ first 38 games last season–but Molina is one of the most important players in baseball and he’s signed through 2017, so generally speaking keeping him from wearing down physically seems like an excellent idea now that he’s on the wrong side of 30.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 40
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)