Feb 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
No catcher logs more time behind the plate than Yadier Molina, but the Cardinals are taking steps to cut back his workload this season.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Molina won’t be in the lineup for Friday’s spring training opener and the team’s plan is to play him sparingly early in the exhibition season.
We’ll see what happens once the games actually mean something–Goold notes that Molina got a grand total of one day off in the Cardinals’ first 38 games last season–but Molina is one of the most important players in baseball and he’s signed through 2017, so generally speaking keeping him from wearing down physically seems like an excellent idea now that he’s on the wrong side of 30.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)