Feb 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
No catcher logs more time behind the plate than Yadier Molina, but the Cardinals are taking steps to cut back his workload this season.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Molina won’t be in the lineup for Friday’s spring training opener and the team’s plan is to play him sparingly early in the exhibition season.
We’ll see what happens once the games actually mean something–Goold notes that Molina got a grand total of one day off in the Cardinals’ first 38 games last season–but Molina is one of the most important players in baseball and he’s signed through 2017, so generally speaking keeping him from wearing down physically seems like an excellent idea now that he’s on the wrong side of 30.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)