Chase Headley diagnosed with Grade 1 calf strain

Feb 25, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT

Chase Headley Getty Getty Images

Padres third baseman Chase Headley underwent an MRI exam on his calf injury and it confirmed the original diagnosis of a Grade 1 strain. Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that Headley is expected to miss another 2-3 weeks.

Last season Headley fractured his thumb during spring training and didn’t make his regular season debut until April 17. It’s unclear yet if this injury could put his status for Opening Day in jeopardy.

This is a hugely important season for Headley, as he’s on the verge of free agency and coming off a disappointing year in which he hit just .250 with 13 homers and a .747 OPS in 141 games after homering 31 times with an NL-leading 115 RBIs in 2012.

1. moogro - Feb 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Streeeeeetch before you play.

• stex52 - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I thought the new wisdom was “Stretch after exercise.” Who can keep up?

2. bostonboresme - Feb 25, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Remember that time this guy knocked in 115 runs?

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM

I wonder how many of these guys incorporate Yoga into their training. I know it is not the most macho endeavor, but neither is straining inflexible muscles and connective tissue. Besides, being one of the two guys in a Yoga class has its advantages.

• stex52 - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I assume by your comment that you are not watching the other guy.

I will also bet that if they come up with a program including yoga those guys will be all over it. I doubt the macho part troubles a professional athlete much if it prevents injuries.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I suppose that is my question: do they come up with programs including yoga? I would imagine individual players have differing levels of openness to such a thing, but if the team mandated some sort of program the guys would have to follow along, right?

• moogro - Feb 25, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Yoga, etc. Penalties. I’m surprised teams don’t go all in for stopping preventable injuries. A huge market inefficiency.

4. gloccamorra - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:21 PM

He had left knee problems all last year and had surgery right after the season. The right calf strain might have been due to compensating.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic