Feb 25, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Padres third baseman Chase Headley underwent an MRI exam on his calf injury and it confirmed the original diagnosis of a Grade 1 strain. Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that Headley is expected to miss another 2-3 weeks.
Last season Headley fractured his thumb during spring training and didn’t make his regular season debut until April 17. It’s unclear yet if this injury could put his status for Opening Day in jeopardy.
This is a hugely important season for Headley, as he’s on the verge of free agency and coming off a disappointing year in which he hit just .250 with 13 homers and a .747 OPS in 141 games after homering 31 times with an NL-leading 115 RBIs in 2012.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 11
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 96
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)