Feb 25, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Padres third baseman Chase Headley underwent an MRI exam on his calf injury and it confirmed the original diagnosis of a Grade 1 strain. Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that Headley is expected to miss another 2-3 weeks.
Last season Headley fractured his thumb during spring training and didn’t make his regular season debut until April 17. It’s unclear yet if this injury could put his status for Opening Day in jeopardy.
This is a hugely important season for Headley, as he’s on the verge of free agency and coming off a disappointing year in which he hit just .250 with 13 homers and a .747 OPS in 141 games after homering 31 times with an NL-leading 115 RBIs in 2012.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 13
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 14
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)