Feb 25, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Padres third baseman Chase Headley underwent an MRI exam on his calf injury and it confirmed the original diagnosis of a Grade 1 strain. Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that Headley is expected to miss another 2-3 weeks.
Last season Headley fractured his thumb during spring training and didn’t make his regular season debut until April 17. It’s unclear yet if this injury could put his status for Opening Day in jeopardy.
This is a hugely important season for Headley, as he’s on the verge of free agency and coming off a disappointing year in which he hit just .250 with 13 homers and a .747 OPS in 141 games after homering 31 times with an NL-leading 115 RBIs in 2012.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)