Feb 25, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
“If I can get 15 to 20 (at-bats) from both sides, that’s pretty close to what I need,” Headley told Jeff Sanders of the San Diego Union-Tribune on Tuesday evening in Padres camp. “If it progresses the way that I hope — and I think that it will — then I should be fine. We should have plenty of time.”
Headley got a late start to the 2013 season due to a fractured thumb and wound up posting a disappointing .747 OPS with 13 homers and 50 RBI in 141 games. He had an .875 OPS, 31 homers, and 151 RBI in 2012.
Headley is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series.
This is going to be an important summer for him.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)