Feb 25, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
From beat writer Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com:
JUPITER, Fla. — The Cardinals are delaying comment on the results of Jaime Garcia‘s exam with team physician George Paletta until after the left-hander visits orthopedist James Andrews for a second opinion on Wednesday.
Garcia began experiencing discomfort in his left shoulder last weekend and flew back to St. Louis on Sunday to have an MRI. Langosch notes that Garcia requested Wednesday’s visit with Andrews, but that doesn’t make it any less ominous.
Garcia was limited to nine starts in 2013 due to May shoulder surgery and struggled with elbow issues in 2012. The 27-year-old southpaw owns an impressive 3.45 ERA and 55.5 percent groundball rate in 551 total major league innings, but arm injuries are now threatening to completely derail his career.
You can probably lock in Adam Wainwright, Michael Wacha, Shelby Miller, and Lance Lynn for St. Louis’ season-opening starting rotation. The final spot likely comes down to Joe Kelly or Carlos Martinez.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)