Feb 25, 2014, 7:33 PM EST
From beat writer Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com:
JUPITER, Fla. — The Cardinals are delaying comment on the results of Jaime Garcia‘s exam with team physician George Paletta until after the left-hander visits orthopedist James Andrews for a second opinion on Wednesday.
Garcia began experiencing discomfort in his left shoulder last weekend and flew back to St. Louis on Sunday to have an MRI. Langosch notes that Garcia requested Wednesday’s visit with Andrews, but that doesn’t make it any less ominous.
Garcia was limited to nine starts in 2013 due to May shoulder surgery and struggled with elbow issues in 2012. The 27-year-old southpaw owns an impressive 3.45 ERA and 55.5 percent groundball rate in 551 total major league innings, but arm injuries are now threatening to completely derail his career.
You can probably lock in Adam Wainwright, Michael Wacha, Shelby Miller, and Lance Lynn for St. Louis’ season-opening starting rotation. The final spot likely comes down to Joe Kelly or Carlos Martinez.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)