Feb 25, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
King reports that Santana “topped out” at 81 miles per hour and was throwing mostly in the high-70s. Prior to his latest shoulder surgery Santana averaged 88.4 mph on his fastball and in his prime he threw in the low-90s.
Santana hasn’t been healthy and effective since 2010 and hasn’t pitched in the majors at all since mid-2012, so at age 35 it’s hard to imagine any teams viewing him as anything more than a flier for the second half.
On the other hand, for whatever it’s worth Santana tweeted this after today’s workout:
Today was a very good day off the mound, getting better!!!
— El Gocho believe it! (@johansantana) February 25, 2014
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 0
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 1
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)