Feb 25, 2014, 3:38 PM EST
King reports that Santana “topped out” at 81 miles per hour and was throwing mostly in the high-70s. Prior to his latest shoulder surgery Santana averaged 88.4 mph on his fastball and in his prime he threw in the low-90s.
Santana hasn’t been healthy and effective since 2010 and hasn’t pitched in the majors at all since mid-2012, so at age 35 it’s hard to imagine any teams viewing him as anything more than a flier for the second half.
On the other hand, for whatever it’s worth Santana tweeted this after today’s workout:
Today was a very good day off the mound, getting better!!!
— El Gocho believe it! (@johansantana) February 25, 2014
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)