Feb 25, 2014, 3:38 PM EST
King reports that Santana “topped out” at 81 miles per hour and was throwing mostly in the high-70s. Prior to his latest shoulder surgery Santana averaged 88.4 mph on his fastball and in his prime he threw in the low-90s.
Santana hasn’t been healthy and effective since 2010 and hasn’t pitched in the majors at all since mid-2012, so at age 35 it’s hard to imagine any teams viewing him as anything more than a flier for the second half.
On the other hand, for whatever it’s worth Santana tweeted this after today’s workout:
Today was a very good day off the mound, getting better!!!
— El Gocho believe it! (@johansantana) February 25, 2014
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)