Feb 25, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
King reports that Santana “topped out” at 81 miles per hour and was throwing mostly in the high-70s. Prior to his latest shoulder surgery Santana averaged 88.4 mph on his fastball and in his prime he threw in the low-90s.
Santana hasn’t been healthy and effective since 2010 and hasn’t pitched in the majors at all since mid-2012, so at age 35 it’s hard to imagine any teams viewing him as anything more than a flier for the second half.
On the other hand, for whatever it’s worth Santana tweeted this after today’s workout:
Today was a very good day off the mound, getting better!!!
— El Gocho believe it! (@johansantana) February 25, 2014
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)