Feb 25, 2014, 3:38 PM EST
King reports that Santana “topped out” at 81 miles per hour and was throwing mostly in the high-70s. Prior to his latest shoulder surgery Santana averaged 88.4 mph on his fastball and in his prime he threw in the low-90s.
Santana hasn’t been healthy and effective since 2010 and hasn’t pitched in the majors at all since mid-2012, so at age 35 it’s hard to imagine any teams viewing him as anything more than a flier for the second half.
On the other hand, for whatever it’s worth Santana tweeted this after today’s workout:
Today was a very good day off the mound, getting better!!!
— El Gocho believe it! (@johansantana) February 25, 2014
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)