Jose Fernandez: “My goal this year is to have a 1.95 ERA”

Feb 25, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

Jose Fernandez AP AP

From the Department of The Oddly Specific, here’s Marlins ace Jose Fernandez:

He delivered his message quiet matter-of-factly, as if he were discussing the everyday, the mundane, the fully expected. With neither fanfare nor a deep breath to preface his quiet announcement, Jose Fernandez calmly said, “My goal this year is to have a 1.95 ERA.” There.

Oh, 1.95? Well, of course? Why not? Why not 1.90?

“I think I can,” Fernandez said with an earnestness that is delightful and disarming. His response to his listener’s somewhat incredulous reaction was an incredulous reaction of his own, as if to say “What, you don’t think I can?”

I think he probably can. I just wonder how one arrives at that specific number as opposed to saying “under 2.00″ or something. Either way, I kind of like Fernandez. The more I learn about him the more of a mildly strange ranger he seems to be, and I love strange rangers.

1. themanytoolsofignorance - Feb 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM

666 is the number of the beast. 1.95 is the number of the fish

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM

So if the end of the season is nigh, and he is sitting on 1.90, do you think he throws someone a meatball?

• missthemexpos - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Why not, the Blue Jay pitchers were throwing meatballs all season long last year.

• NatsLady - Feb 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Yes, but I don’t think they had 1.90 ERAs, so what was the point of them throwing meatballs?

• missthemexpos - Feb 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Watching many Jay games I kept asking myself the same question!

• themanytoolsofignorance - Feb 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM

It is my belief that meatballs were the entire arsenal of their 3, 4, & 5 SPs lasts season.

3. The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM

He was going to set a goal based on a number of Wins, but then he looked at his jersey, and he remembered he wanted his goal to be something attainable, so, you know….

• tbird05 - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Wins might have had more to do with it than you think. What if he only plans on his offensive giving him, on average, 2 runs per outing? All of a sudden the wins start piling up.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Feb 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM

And maybe he’s been brushing up his hitting skills – a man’s got to help his own cause, right?

4. bostonboresme - Feb 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Know what the best part is? He probably will throw a 1.95 ERA.

• number42is1 - Feb 25, 2014 at 2:57 PM

you know what the worst part is? he’s still on the Marlins.

• Old Gator - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Know what’s inevitable?

• ltzep75 - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM

The sound of the train about to hit Agent Smith and Neo?

5. Old Gator - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I don’t doubt that El Keed can pitch to sub-2.00 but, much as I love this guy, sophomore years do have a tendency to be humbling. A lot of guys he made look bad last season will be waiting in the weeds for him (Brian McCann, being the metastatic exception, has fled to the AL, though Chris Johnson will still be waiting for a chance to haunt the outer shell of any brouhaha). He’s got terrific stuff and a great attitude about the game, but he’s still got a lot of learning to do and he’s going to have to go out there and prove that last season wasn’t a flash in the pan.

On the bright side, a lot of folks – me included – are going to be rooting for him to meet his own expectations.

• moogro - Feb 25, 2014 at 5:40 PM

At least you got this guy and that other guy. That’s somethin’. Some folks don’t have much of nothin’ in town.

6. stex52 - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I’ll be rooting for him. I like the kid. I think 1.95 was a way of saying “under 2.”

7. tfbuckfutter - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM

You know how in the minors once you perform well enough you get promoted to a big league team?

Well, Loria told Fernandez “You hit 1.95 and we’ll promote you to a big league team.”

8. zzalapski - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Is Fernandez posting on HBT as “stlouis1baseball”? That would explain the 1.95, sorta.

• clemente2 - Feb 25, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I like cross-thread references. Keeps people on their toes.

• clemente2 - Feb 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM

But next time, no link. Make people search.

9. mtr75 - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM

My guess is with a 1.95 ERA for the Marlins he would go 3-26 with a couple ND’s.

• dylanthom2013 - Feb 26, 2014 at 4:41 AM

But, but, but they added the force that is Casey McGheeheeheee. He should be be good for 4-5 HR’s at least…

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3945)