Mariners lose third base coach to hernia surgery

Feb 25, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT

hiatal_hernia_hiatal_hernia

Players and coaches go through physical exams upon arriving at spring training every year and rarely does anything come of it, but in Mariners camp third base coach John Stearns was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia.

Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that Stearns will undergo surgery and is expected to be out of action for 4-6 weeks, which means the Mariners will likely begin the season with someone else in the third base coach’s box.

Also, based on the MayoClinic.com description, it doesn’t sound very fun:

A hiatal hernia occurs when part of your stomach pushes upward through your diaphragm. Your diaphragm normally has a small opening (hiatus) through which your food tube (esophagus) passes on its way to connect to your stomach. The stomach can push up through this opening and cause a hiatal hernia.

Man, the things people will do to avoid the monotony of the spring training schedule.

1. themanytoolsofignorance - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM

That sounds painful. Heartburn city, something I am no stranger to myself. I confess when I saw hernia in the headline I immediately recalled the grim tale of Mike Minor’s urethra and feared the worst. As bad as diaphragm surgery is, it could be worse. It could be your urethra.

2. Old Gator - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Hiatial hernias are more troublesome than your standard inguinal hernia. I wish him a speedy recovery, but he’s gonna be mainlining painkillers for a while. My uncle had this surgery and it’s no fun.

Incidentally, you have to hope that our virtual village idiot, Poor Dim Harry, never needs conventional hernia surgery – what with the Canadian method being the most popular treatment. An awful lot of schadenfreude there….be afraid, Harry. Be very afraid.

3. stackers1 - Feb 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I was diagnosed with this over ten years ago, but didn’t need surgery. I take a Nexium everyday & eat whatever I want with no problems.

4. vanmorrissey - Feb 25, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Yep, have the same thing plus GERD for 20 years. You can take Omeprazole to control so I can’t see why the need for surgery unless there’s something else not divulged.

• raym64 - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM

It depends on the persons individual circumstances. In my case, the it causes the valve not to close, so when I lay down, the acid spills out into the esophagus. Biopsies also showed Barrett’s esophagus which can lead to cancer, so you have to be really careful. Currently using medicine, but surgery is likely at some point.

5. hittfamily - Feb 25, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I thought he died. You may want to change the wording of the headline Aaron. If you lose someone to a medical condition, it usually means they died. It doesn’t mean they can’t work for a month.

“I lost my mother to cancer.”
    “Does she have unemployment insurance?”

6. whiskey4breakfast - Feb 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Living with a hernia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg

7. fucoff - Feb 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Wish you a speedy recovery John!

Bring back Daren Brown !!!

8. jiminthebay - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM

i had inguinal hernia surgery 7 weeks ago. now i’m in the best shape of my life …’cept for them stingers when i roll over in bed …which is like a kickstand for other folks…..yeah .

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey