Orioles prospect doesn’t know who Frank Robinson is. Buck Showalter makes him write a report.

Feb 25, 2014, 6:31 AM EST

Frank Robinson was at Orioles camp in Sarasota yesterday to address the team. An Orioles prospect didn’t know who he was. Some people call this sort of thing a teachable moment:

Go Buck.

I mean, sure, Robinson had been retired for 20 years by the time the 19-year-old Hart had even been born, but we’re not talking about some borderline major leaguer with Robinson here. No matter how old you are, you can’t call yourself a professional baseball player without knowing the man who hit 586 homers, was the first black manager in baseball history, is one of your own team’s immortals and former managers and who has spent the past couple of decades as a high-ranking executive in the league where you ply your trade.

If Hart doesn’t know who Curt Blefary is, fine, let that slide. But you do not play in the Orioles organization — or really any organization — and not know who Frank Robinson is. Hell, if anything, that paper should be five pages long, not one. And an oral report should be given to the rest of the team during the morning meeting.

(link via Larry Brown Sports)

1. markofapro - Feb 25, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Good job, Buck.

2. louhudson23 - Feb 25, 2014 at 6:47 AM

In the overall scheme of things,everything and everybody came before our time,with our own lifetime a mere blink of an eye over the course of history….ignorance is simply ignorance…no excuses….

• mmeyer3387 - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I agree with Buck, giving a small assignment to educate personal about Baltimore’s Mlb history is a healthy. Clearly, studying a little history won’t hurt.

3. bowltr - Feb 25, 2014 at 6:47 AM

Ridiculous! Ask him to read up but don’t make him.

• louhudson23 - Feb 25, 2014 at 6:49 AM

He clearly isn’t capable on his own,or he would have already…and mandating it carries an inherent and much deserved admonishment of his ignorance….

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Are you going to finish that thought? Maybe give us five lines instead of one.

• jeffbbf - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I agree with bowltr. In addition, Hart should be given a trophy for answering the question honestly, and Buck should be forced to attend sensitivity training for hurting Hart’s self esteem.

• pjmitch - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Jeffbbf

I hope you are being sarcastic because if not, you have just labeled what is exactly wrong with the country we live in and how we raise our children. Oh yes god forbid we hurt his self esteem. And of course, give him a trophy because he was honest. People should be rewarded for their honesty, they shouldn’t just freely give it.

• mogogo1 - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM

“Ask him to read up but don’t make him.”
      _________

This pretty much sums up the modern education system.

4. thedoubleentandres - Feb 25, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Hope he picks the wrong Frank Robinson on wikipedia and hands Buck a report that starts..

Frank Isaac Robinson or “Sugar Chile Robinson” was an American Blues and Boogie Woogie Musician

5. halladaysbiceps - Feb 25, 2014 at 6:53 AM

This is not surprising at all that a 19 year old kid wouldn’t know who Frank Robinson is. Reporters recently asked Kobe Bryant and LeBron James who they would put on their Mount Rushmore of greatest NBA players and neither put Wilt Chamberlain, the greatest who ever played, on their list. How can one leave Wilt off their list??? Young athletes, with the exception of a few, do not know sports history like the fans because they are too busy playing the sport they are involved in.

• Kevin S. - Feb 25, 2014 at 7:04 AM

I can easily make a.list of the top four basketball players ever and leave off Wilt. IIRC, at least one of them included Russell, so it’s not a recency bias.

• Old Gator - Feb 25, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Penis envy.

• stex52 - Feb 25, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Not according to Bill Russell, you can’t. I personally like Russell best. But he will tell anyone that will listen that no one was better than Wilt.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Jordan, Bird, Magic, Russell, Jabbar.

See, easy. Even gave a bonus name. Took me 30 seconds.

• stex52 - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Jordan, Magic, Bird? Chamberlain scored 100 points in game, was quick as a cat, and may have been the strongest man ever to play the game. The only thing he couldn’t do was shoot free throws.

Now I’ll stop. Have not watched a full NBA game in years.

• arrow43050 - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:49 AM

@stex52: As a long-suffering Knicks fan (I’m 39) I HATED Larry Bird, but I doubt there is anyone out there who could appreciate his talent more than me. That said, Larry Bird is definitely NOT better than Wilt Chamberlain. If you wanted four players better than Wilt you could use 3 off your list:

Jordan, Magic, Russell. Also, you can make a case for Oscar Robertson. If I had to pick four players better than Wilt it would be those four.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Hey! Y’all know where the basketball talk is. >:(

• stex52 - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Sorry, philiac. I don’t know what came over me.

• largebill - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Leaving a player off you list of four best ever in a sport doesn’t necessarily mean you are ignorant of your sports history. Narrowing tens of thousands down to four isn’t a perfect process. Even in baseball people go into creating top ten or top 100 lists with different processes. Some insist on that each ten or so include each position. Others can accept that more greats played OF than 2B.

• pjmitch - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:21 AM

You are basing your point on what Kobe and LeBron, who have been catered to their entire life, think? Because they were so busy playing? I believe Kobe’s dad was an NBA player. Does he know who he and his team mates were?

I don’t think I have seen so many stupid remarks in one post in a long time

• stex52 - Feb 25, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Well, if it’s a problem for you there’s an easy fix.

• infieldhit - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I think Kobe and LeBron seem a lot more well-versed in basketball history than a lot of their peers.

In general though, it just seems like kids and teens’ interest in culture of years past just gets more narrow, just because things are increasingly geared for specific demographics (TV and movies for example). Why watch some old black and white movie when they have Shrek part 10?

6. louhudson23 - Feb 25, 2014 at 6:56 AM

He should be made to watch Robinson’s AB in the 71 All-Star Game,where F.Robinson,having watched Bench,Aaron and Jackson’s previous wind aided HR sail out to Right Center,takes clear and deliberate aim (on successive pitches) at doing the same,and succeeding. A clear dispersing of the myth that good hitters don’t have specific intent and merely swing to make contact,with results purely a matter of chance and statistical likelihood(sp?)….

• jerseyshoregiant - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:11 AM

He shouldn’t be made to do anything. Who gives a crap what he knows about past players.

• arrow43050 - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Uh, maybe because a VERY important part of any professional athlete’s job is dealing with the media and fanbase who pay his salary and THEY will expect him to know, well, the baseball equivalent of what is 2+2. Also, how can you aspire to greatness in anything if you don’t know what greatness is in your field in anything you do? Any person in any field should aspire to greatness and to surpass even what has already been done and it might help to know what that is, who did it, and potentially who to ask for advice.

• realgone2 - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM

You really are a jerk off aren’t you? Figures. You’re from Jersey.

• forsch31 - Feb 25, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Who cares about past players? Maybe the players themselves?

“Hey, Shelby, what do you think of Bob Gibson?”

“Nice enough guy. Did he pitch or something?”

And Shelby Miller was never, ever seen again….

• gmfw7 - Feb 25, 2014 at 1:27 PM

realgone…i’m from south philly – pretty close to jersey, and i just laughed out loud at my desk when i read your comment. thanks for that.

• pjmitch - Feb 25, 2014 at 5:36 PM

About as many as give a crap about what you think.

When I went to work at my company, I was given an in depth orientation about the beginning of the company and how it progressed thru time so I could better understand it. I would suggest that is exactly what the Orioles expect from their players. Possibly it could also get them out of the “it’s all about me” mode

• clemente2 - Feb 25, 2014 at 6:31 PM

A giant on the Jersy Shore is a dung beetle on the Atlantic Coast.

7. tomtravis76 - Feb 25, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Good opportunity to learn a little history about your employers team history. Not a big deal, it’s a shame this made news in an attempt to embarrass the young man.

You could take a reporter to any team and ask rookies or very young players about history of the franchise that employs them and you would have young men looking very uneducated about the game they are paid to play.

• chew1985 - Feb 25, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Not on Buck Showalter’s watch, baby….not on Buck Showalter’s watch.

8. chip56 - Feb 25, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Craig said “oral” giggle.

9. chip56 - Feb 25, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Seriously though. Great job by Buck.

10. themanytoolsofignorance - Feb 25, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Make him write it in prose, Buck

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Okay, I want all you guys to come back tomorrow with a pertinent haiku.

Does it have to be Robinson? Could we use Ripkin instead?

I’ll accept Ripkin too but I’m gonna be strict on the meter. And none of that rhymey crap. Okay, hit the showers.

• seeinred87 - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Frank Robinson hit
        Two grand slams in the same game
        That is super cool

• abaird2012 - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:45 AM

You spelled “Ripken” wrong.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Apologies. I was still having my morning performance enhancing liquid. How long does my report have to be?

• raysfan1 - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Who is this “Ripkin” of whome you speak?

Oh, and:
        This is my Haiku
        It has the right syllables
        Now how about that?

• themanytoolsofignorance - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I have never resorted to doggerel but I admit to being intrigued by the this haiku thing. Then I looked it up. Then I decided I prefer the “vile limerick” style. Then I wrote one. Then I showed it to my wife. Then I got in trouble. This concludes my stylistic writing career.

• raysfan1 - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Anyone who did not note the Mel Allen reference in my haiku must submit a four verse poem, in King James English using iambic pentameter.

• historiophiliac - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Ripken is spelled with an “e.”
        Cal, a real iron bird was he.
        Though he lacked Robinson’s crown,
        Neither let their teams down —
        Both were two time league MVP’s.

11. jerseyshoregiant - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Well it’s settled now. Buck is a complete jerk off!!!!!!

12. jerseyshoregiant - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM

You could have asked some players the same question 15 – 20 years ago and there would be players that don’t know who he is.

• florida76 - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:29 AM

False, players 20 years ago would have had a better grasp of history without a doubt. Today’s generation has an increased number of people tuned out, unaware of sports or current events. For them, it’s about instant gratification, short attention spans, and addicted to technology. Looking down texting, oblivious to the world, is becoming the norm.

• 18thstreet - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM

GET OFF OF MY LAWN!

• jerseyshoregiant - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Nonsense. Not every player even back then was interested in the history of the game. Even back then they cared more about somebody they were actually able to watch growing up vs. someone who retired decades earlier.

• infieldhit - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM

And for evidence, all the players have to do is look at fans during a game.

• NatsLady - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Get off my lawn.
        –grammar police

13. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:26 AM

This is such an old school move by Buck. And I love it. Every week there seems to be something little like this that reminds me how damn lucky we are that Bobby Valentine turned down our offer. THANK YOU BOBBY!

14. yahmule - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I think he should know Curt “Bats” Blefary, too.

15. jimeejohnson - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM

He’s Will Robinson’s long lost uncle from Lost in Space.

16. crashdavis99 - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Anyone know if Professor Showalter grades on a curve?
    Single or double spaced? Does grammar and punctuation count? Is this going to be on the test?
    Anybody got the cliff notes? God, I should have spent last night studying instead of drinking!

17. wiseliver - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:10 AM

The kid obviously never watched Home Run Derby.

18. realgone2 - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Good for Buck. This guy should be embarrassed.

19. justwinsomeday - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Probably Milt Pappas’s grandkid…….

• bunkmcnulty - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:21 PM

That’s funny (assuming one knows the history of Frank Robinson).

20. sportsfan18 - Feb 25, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Frank Robinson.

He won an MVP of the National League (1961)

He won an MVP of the American League (1966)

He won/earned a Triple Crown in 1966

14 time All Star

2 time World Series champion

Rookie of the year

AL manager of the year in 1989

He’s 9th on the all time HR list

He has the 20th most RBI’s in the history of the game

He lead the league in slugging percentage and in OPS four different times.

He received MVP votes in 15 of his 21 seasons with ten of them being in the top 10.

When you’re a multiple MVP award winner, a triple crown winner, a multiple world series winner, finish in the top ten for most HR’s all time and in the top 20 for most RBI’s all time, you’re an all time great.

21. grumpyoleman - Feb 25, 2014 at 1:15 PM

How does he not know one of the greatest third basemen to have ever played the game.

22. bostonboresme - Feb 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Shameful. Still the only guy to win MVP in both leagues, I believe.

23. drs76109 - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM

lol Milt Pappas – remind me of Leo Durocher’s autobiography, which I reread a few months ago. I highly recommend it.

24. mpzz - Feb 25, 2014 at 5:54 PM

It’s not just baseball players who are stupid nowadays. It’s most young people. They go through school and never learn ANYTHING- not history, not geography, not math, ESPECIALLY not English- and some of them are even on the honor roll. It’s been going on for years and it’s getting to be a real problem as all the educated people are getting older and dying off.

25. barrypiatoff - Feb 25, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Reblogged this on The Second Time Around.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3297)
  2. J. Kang (3123)
  3. C. McGehee (2840)
  4. J. Upton (2821)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2814)
  1. D. Ross (2627)