Feb 25, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Jhoulys Chacin underwent an MRI exam after complaining of shoulder soreness early in camp and the Rockies right-hander has been diagnosed with inflammation.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Chacin will be shut down for at least one week and “likely longer.”
As one of the few starting pitchers to consistently thrive in Coors Field (relatively speaking) Chacin is hugely important to the Rockies’ plans this season. Through age 25 he has a 3.61 ERA in 609 innings, including a 3.57 ERA as a starter and a 4.18 ERA in Colorado (compared to a 2.57 ERA on the road).
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 36
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 74
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)