Feb 25, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Jhoulys Chacin underwent an MRI exam after complaining of shoulder soreness early in camp and the Rockies right-hander has been diagnosed with inflammation.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Chacin will be shut down for at least one week and “likely longer.”
As one of the few starting pitchers to consistently thrive in Coors Field (relatively speaking) Chacin is hugely important to the Rockies’ plans this season. Through age 25 he has a 3.61 ERA in 609 innings, including a 3.57 ERA as a starter and a 4.18 ERA in Colorado (compared to a 2.57 ERA on the road).
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)