Feb 25, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Now the diagnosis is in from Jupiter, Florida.
According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, the hard-throwing right-hander suffered a right groin strain and will likely take it easy for the rest of this week.
“Our approach right now is going to be day to day,” Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told Langosch on Tuesday. “I do feel like this is caught early enough that it probably avoided anything more serious.”
Rosenthal owns a dominant 2.66 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, and 133/27 K/BB ratio through his first 98 innings at the major league level. The 23-year-old has also delivered 20 1/3 scoreless postseason frames.
Relievers don’t usually need that much work in spring, so he should be fine for Opening Day.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)