Feb 25, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Now the diagnosis is in from Jupiter, Florida.
According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, the hard-throwing right-hander suffered a right groin strain and will likely take it easy for the rest of this week.
“Our approach right now is going to be day to day,” Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told Langosch on Tuesday. “I do feel like this is caught early enough that it probably avoided anything more serious.”
Rosenthal owns a dominant 2.66 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, and 133/27 K/BB ratio through his first 98 innings at the major league level. The 23-year-old has also delivered 20 1/3 scoreless postseason frames.
Relievers don’t usually need that much work in spring, so he should be fine for Opening Day.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (96)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)