Feb 25, 2014, 8:57 PM EST
Now the diagnosis is in from Jupiter, Florida.
According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, the hard-throwing right-hander suffered a right groin strain and will likely take it easy for the rest of this week.
“Our approach right now is going to be day to day,” Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told Langosch on Tuesday. “I do feel like this is caught early enough that it probably avoided anything more serious.”
Rosenthal owns a dominant 2.66 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, and 133/27 K/BB ratio through his first 98 innings at the major league level. The 23-year-old has also delivered 20 1/3 scoreless postseason frames.
Relievers don’t usually need that much work in spring, so he should be fine for Opening Day.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 31
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)