Angels sign Mike Trout for $1 million, keep working on long-term extension

Feb 26, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT

Mike Trout Getty Images

While reports swirl about their long-term contract talks the Angels have given Mike Trout a $1 million salary for 2014, which is almost double what they were required to pay him based on his service time.

That makes sense, from a performance standpoint and from a keeping Trout happy standpoint, and it also hints at an extension being close to finished because by finalizing his 2014 salary the Angels clear the way for the average annual value of any long-term deal to begin counting in 2015 for luxury tax purposes.

Or, put another way: By signing him for $1 million this season and then announcing a long-term extension after that the Angels can avoid pushing their current payroll into luxury tax territory.

UPDATE: $1 million is the highest salary ever for a pre-arbitration player on a contract renewal, topping $900,000 for Ryan Howard a while back.

1. halladaysbiceps - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:25 PM

This kid is going to be so rich it will be insane. We all wish we had his problems. LOL!

2. stex52 - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:33 PM

If you averaged his contract with Josh’s and Albert’s, it might take away some of Arte’s pain (at least for 2014). But based on the numbers, the three of them still need to come with about 10 WAR among them. Any guesses as to who will do the heavy lifting on that?

3. ereed1286 - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM

This year’s most “valuable” player? I think so.

4. sportsfan18 - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:44 PM

We all know he’s going to break the bank, but his first three years are all quite low.

He made $480K his first season.
    He make $500K last season.
    Now he’s going to make $1million this season.

That’s a total of $1,980,000 for TRHEE years.

Do you all know what Bryce Harper made for JUST last season?

Bryce made $2 million for just last season.

Bryce is going to make $2,150,000 this season.

Again, Trout will break the bank and I don’t feel for him as he won’t go hungry…

But THREE seasons of Mike Trout for LESS than one season of Bryce Harper salary wise?

• sportsfan18 - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM

sorry, typo. Trout made $510K last season, not $500K.

that also means his three yr total was $1,990,000.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Trout will become the youngest 150+ million dollar player in all of North American sport’s history. That’s the bottom line. I wouldn’t worry about Harper. He’ll get his in a few years if he remains good.

• scatterbrian - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM

With inflation that’s not wouldn’t be that surprising.

But Trout will likely become the youngest ever who is the highest-paid player in the game.

• sportsfan18 - Feb 26, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I’m not worrying about Trout and I said so, twice in what I wrote above, a mention at both the beginning and the end of what I wrote.

But Trout is better than I am because I would have told the Angles that I need to make more than Harper is this season, period.

Even if Trout were to have gotten $2.25 million for this season, he’s still behind what Harper has made.

That was my point. I wasn’t saying for him to get past Harper’s career earnings this season.

I just think that the Angles are getting by on the cheap big time with Trout so far.

They know what his first two seasons were like and he’s only going to make $1 million this year.

Whatever long term big buck deal Trout and the Angles sign (let’s say 6 yr and $160 million, needs to be looked at by the team as a 9 yr $162 million dollar deal because they had Trout play for them for three years for LESS than $2 million.

• notsofast10 - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Harper was the #1 overall pick and signed a Major League Contract from the start, agreeing to his salary I believe for the first 5 years. Trout will get his very soon! They have had two different paths so their compensation history will be different but in the end, they will both be filthy rich.

5. stex52 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:00 PM

What rock did you crawl out from under, troll?

• stex52 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Dammit Aaron, you squished the troll. Now my comment makes no sense. Some would suggest they never do.

• happytwinsfan - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:51 PM

my mouse scroll wheel was getting a workout trying to figure out who you were talking to. i don’t recall seeing you get hostile, it must have been something pretty bad

• larrymahnken - Feb 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Since Gleeman deleted it, I’m going to assume the guy said something negative about brunch.

6. shockertalk - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Lets just hope that Trout likes the California sun and doesn’t opt to go home to Jersey to play.

7. historiophiliac - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Meh, he’s no Miggy.

he he

• infieldhit - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:40 PM

He what?

• scatterbrian - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Nope. No report of domestic abuse for Trout just yet….

• asimonetti88 - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM

He’s significantly behind Cabrera in earning that three letter distinction: DUI.

• 1981titan - Feb 26, 2014 at 4:39 PM

You’re right. He actually can do something with the leather he wears on his left hand and he does not clog up the bases when he walks or singles.

• historiophiliac - Feb 26, 2014 at 4:40 PM

You guys are getting to be as easy as Phans.

8. captainwisdom8888 - Feb 26, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I live in South Jersey, rather close to Millville (where Trout grew up). There’s little chance of this happening of course, but if Mike Trout spurned Los Angeles and decided to sign with Philadelphia to play close to home…he would make ALOT of people very thrilled, myself included. That is pretty much the very best case scenario that I can think of for my beloved Phillies…

9. chargrz - Feb 27, 2014 at 2:15 AM

Angels are playing dangerous game of Russian Roulette with Trout by continuing to lowball him financially. I am an Angel fan but if i were Trout i would be looking elsewhere in the very near future as it seems clear that do not want to pay him what he is worth. Meanwhile the Angels over pay for juicers like Pujols and Hamilton, both of whom are at the end of their careers in productivity.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3443)