Carl Pavano is retiring

Feb 26, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT

Carl Pavano Getty Getty Images

As of a couple months ago Carl Pavano was trying to make a comeback after missing all of last season following a gruesome home accident in which he suffered a ruptured spleen, but now he’s ready to call it a career.

Pavano’s agent told Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors that the 38-year-old right-hander is retiring after 14 seasons in the majors, issuing the following statement:

Despite my strong desire to compete and hard work in preparing for the upcoming season I feel that the amount of time lost from my spleen injury, coupled with the recovery from my complications from that injury, preclude me from continuing to compete at my highest level, which is necessary to perform in the major leagues.

Pavano will probably forever be a punchline in New York for his injury-filled Yankees tenure, but he had a handful of very good seasons for the Marlins and Twins. He made an All-Star team in 2004, topped 200 innings four times, made 10 postseason appearances with a 2.51 ERA, was once traded for Pedro Martinez, and earned more than $70 million.

1. 18thstreet - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Outlasted Brian Rose.

2. missthemexpos - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Won a World Series, a winning percentage above 500, made over 70 million, but most importantly he can one day explain to his grandchildren that yes there was a team called the Montreal Expos.

• El Bravo - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I miss the Expos too. My first 10+ ballgames were in that “park” (parks have grass, so I feel obligated to use quotes). Granted, I was there rooting for the Braves many of those times, but still, miss the ‘spos.

• pastabelly - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:44 PM

and traded for Pedro Martinez – c’mon, someone had to say it. :)

• pastabelly - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:46 PM

sorry aaron, just noticed on your blurb there at the end.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:03 PM

the montreal WHO? Sorry they are already forgotten about except by the 3 fans they have left in this world and soon one day they will be gone too

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:41 AM

That is nothing compared to how quickly you would be forgotten if you ever had the common courtesy to disappear.

• louhudson23 - Feb 27, 2014 at 4:57 AM

Being such a dick must surely grow tiresome….kudos to you for persevering so relentlessly in your efforts…..

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2014 at 8:16 AM

He’s not really trying.

3. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Dated Alyssa Milano. That should be on his baseball card too.

• donniev77 - Feb 26, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Between him and Barry Zito, she seems like the anti- Susan Sarandon. I’d still throw my hat in the ring though

• mrstpaul - Feb 27, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Poor guy has slipped since then. Now he has to go home to THIS:

4. dw3dw - Feb 26, 2014 at 6:06 PM

When he was with the Yankees, I think it came out that other players began calling the DL “the Pavano,” as in, “did you hear who just got put on the 15 day Pavano?” Pretty funny if true.

• karlkolchak - Feb 26, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Yeah, it’s always hysterical to make fun of someone who is hurting and in pain. Because those three seasons after Pavano left the Yankees in which he averaged over 200 IP a year just prove what a total slacker he was.

• 4cornersfan - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I think there was a question among his Yankee teammates as to how bad he was hurting and in pain. It’s pretty rare for a player on your own team to doubt your claim of injury, so there was probably something to the suspicion.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:05 PM

he had “1” decent season after leaving NY, just because you hit 200 innings doesn’t mean you did well. FACT

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:06 AM

You don’t get left in for 200 innings if you’re getting routinely hammered. MORON.

• genericcommenter - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Moose.

5. pisano - Feb 26, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Probably a smart move on his part.

6. cackalackyank - Feb 26, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Well, its not like he is hurting for money after all. Getting 40 million bucks from the Yankees for doing absolutely nothing generally helps out ones financials.

7. TheMorningStar - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM

At least Pavano won 9 games during his time in New York. He only cost the Yankees $38 million.

Kei Igawa only won 2 games; he cost the Yankees $40 million.

I’m guessing, based on the assumptions of others posting here, that Cashman had nothing to do with both of their signings?

8. Old Gator - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Pavano was instrumental in the Feesh’s 2003 championship and Feesh fans – all ten of us who are left, anyway – are grateful for the terrific job he did. I wish him best of luck in his retirement.

9. birdsonbat - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:46 PM

He also gave up the 70th homerun to McGwire

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Ah, but if you adjust for PED use, it was only his 68th home run.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3318)