Feb 26, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Chone Figgins is trying to make the Dodgers’ roster. He gave a big interview to the L.A. Times about his dark time in Seattle. He mentioned one incident which set the whole relationship on a bad path, apparently:
He said the Mariners had competed well that season against the Angels and he thought Seattle would be good for him.
“It kind of says it all,” he said, “when you have just signed a $38-million contract [four years] and they pinch-hit for you in the fourth game.”
I presume he was talking about this game, which was actually the sixth game of his first season with the Mariners. The guy who pinch-hit for him: Ken Griffey, Jr. The pitcher was a righty. Griffey got a hit and and the go-ahead and game-winning RBI. At that point in the season Figgins was 4-for-29 and he had committed an error that game.
Granted, Ken Griffey Jr. was a shell of himself in 2010 so it’s not like a giant, scary stud was taking Figgins’ place. But you gotta be pretty damn full of yourself to say that being pinch-hit for by Ken Griffey Jr. on the Seattle Mariners — with the pinch-hitting appearance resulting in a game-winning RBI — is some sort of an affront.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)