Feb 26, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Chone Figgins is trying to make the Dodgers’ roster. He gave a big interview to the L.A. Times about his dark time in Seattle. He mentioned one incident which set the whole relationship on a bad path, apparently:
He said the Mariners had competed well that season against the Angels and he thought Seattle would be good for him.
“It kind of says it all,” he said, “when you have just signed a $38-million contract [four years] and they pinch-hit for you in the fourth game.”
I presume he was talking about this game, which was actually the sixth game of his first season with the Mariners. The guy who pinch-hit for him: Ken Griffey, Jr. The pitcher was a righty. Griffey got a hit and and the go-ahead and game-winning RBI. At that point in the season Figgins was 4-for-29 and he had committed an error that game.
Granted, Ken Griffey Jr. was a shell of himself in 2010 so it’s not like a giant, scary stud was taking Figgins’ place. But you gotta be pretty damn full of yourself to say that being pinch-hit for by Ken Griffey Jr. on the Seattle Mariners — with the pinch-hitting appearance resulting in a game-winning RBI — is some sort of an affront.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 15
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)