Feb 26, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Chone Figgins is trying to make the Dodgers’ roster. He gave a big interview to the L.A. Times about his dark time in Seattle. He mentioned one incident which set the whole relationship on a bad path, apparently:
He said the Mariners had competed well that season against the Angels and he thought Seattle would be good for him.
“It kind of says it all,” he said, “when you have just signed a $38-million contract [four years] and they pinch-hit for you in the fourth game.”
I presume he was talking about this game, which was actually the sixth game of his first season with the Mariners. The guy who pinch-hit for him: Ken Griffey, Jr. The pitcher was a righty. Griffey got a hit and and the go-ahead and game-winning RBI. At that point in the season Figgins was 4-for-29 and he had committed an error that game.
Granted, Ken Griffey Jr. was a shell of himself in 2010 so it’s not like a giant, scary stud was taking Figgins’ place. But you gotta be pretty damn full of yourself to say that being pinch-hit for by Ken Griffey Jr. on the Seattle Mariners — with the pinch-hitting appearance resulting in a game-winning RBI — is some sort of an affront.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)