Feb 26, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Cole Hamels still may have to begin the season on the disabled list because offseason shoulder tendinitis put him behind schedule in Phillies camp, but this morning the left-hander felt good enough to throw his first bullpen session of spring training.
Here’s how Hamels described the mound session to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com:
It was good. Better than expected, which is huge. It didn’t feel as foreign, getting off the mound after such a long time. But everything felt good. Physically, I’ve been feeling great. It just carried over. Now it’s just getting the reps in, working on location, working on pitches. But I still have a really good feel for what I’m doing out there.
Hamels could still have enough time to build up his arm strength for the regular season, but first he’ll have to get through another bullpen session Saturday and then get into some game action. As of now he certainly sounds optimistic and is downplaying the seriousness of the injury.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 60
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 32
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)