Feb 26, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Cole Hamels still may have to begin the season on the disabled list because offseason shoulder tendinitis put him behind schedule in Phillies camp, but this morning the left-hander felt good enough to throw his first bullpen session of spring training.
Here’s how Hamels described the mound session to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com:
It was good. Better than expected, which is huge. It didn’t feel as foreign, getting off the mound after such a long time. But everything felt good. Physically, I’ve been feeling great. It just carried over. Now it’s just getting the reps in, working on location, working on pitches. But I still have a really good feel for what I’m doing out there.
Hamels could still have enough time to build up his arm strength for the regular season, but first he’ll have to get through another bullpen session Saturday and then get into some game action. As of now he certainly sounds optimistic and is downplaying the seriousness of the injury.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)