Feb 26, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
It’ll be very difficult for anyone to top Mike Minor and his scarred urethra for the most cringe-inducing injury of spring training, but Marlins right-hander Henderson Alvarez isn’t having a great time early in camp either.
Alvarez, who threw a no-hitter in September, will miss his first spring training start due to an infected shin and manager Mike Redmond shared the details with Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald:
I think it started as in-grown hair and got infected. We were treating it, the infection. It just wasn’t getting better. We wanted to be proactive and make sure it was getting taken care of. We got in there, got it cleaned out.
Alvarez had to be hospitalized and the infection had to be drained and … I dunno, you get the idea, probably.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (92)