Feb 26, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
It’ll be very difficult for anyone to top Mike Minor and his scarred urethra for the most cringe-inducing injury of spring training, but Marlins right-hander Henderson Alvarez isn’t having a great time early in camp either.
Alvarez, who threw a no-hitter in September, will miss his first spring training start due to an infected shin and manager Mike Redmond shared the details with Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald:
I think it started as in-grown hair and got infected. We were treating it, the infection. It just wasn’t getting better. We wanted to be proactive and make sure it was getting taken care of. We got in there, got it cleaned out.
Alvarez had to be hospitalized and the infection had to be drained and … I dunno, you get the idea, probably.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)