Feb 26, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
It’ll be very difficult for anyone to top Mike Minor and his scarred urethra for the most cringe-inducing injury of spring training, but Marlins right-hander Henderson Alvarez isn’t having a great time early in camp either.
Alvarez, who threw a no-hitter in September, will miss his first spring training start due to an infected shin and manager Mike Redmond shared the details with Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald:
I think it started as in-grown hair and got infected. We were treating it, the infection. It just wasn’t getting better. We wanted to be proactive and make sure it was getting taken care of. We got in there, got it cleaned out.
Alvarez had to be hospitalized and the infection had to be drained and … I dunno, you get the idea, probably.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 57
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)