Feb 26, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
It’ll be very difficult for anyone to top Mike Minor and his scarred urethra for the most cringe-inducing injury of spring training, but Marlins right-hander Henderson Alvarez isn’t having a great time early in camp either.
Alvarez, who threw a no-hitter in September, will miss his first spring training start due to an infected shin and manager Mike Redmond shared the details with Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald:
I think it started as in-grown hair and got infected. We were treating it, the infection. It just wasn’t getting better. We wanted to be proactive and make sure it was getting taken care of. We got in there, got it cleaned out.
Alvarez had to be hospitalized and the infection had to be drained and … I dunno, you get the idea, probably.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)