Feb 26, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
It’ll be very difficult for anyone to top Mike Minor and his scarred urethra for the most cringe-inducing injury of spring training, but Marlins right-hander Henderson Alvarez isn’t having a great time early in camp either.
Alvarez, who threw a no-hitter in September, will miss his first spring training start due to an infected shin and manager Mike Redmond shared the details with Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald:
I think it started as in-grown hair and got infected. We were treating it, the infection. It just wasn’t getting better. We wanted to be proactive and make sure it was getting taken care of. We got in there, got it cleaned out.
Alvarez had to be hospitalized and the infection had to be drained and … I dunno, you get the idea, probably.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 0
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 88
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 43
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (88)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)