Hit a homer in Petco Park, win Padres season tickets

Feb 26, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

Petco Park

This is cool. Probably impossible, but cool. The Padres will give you two 2014 season tickets if you can hit a batting practice home run in Petco Park. The promotion is called “Swing for your Seats.”  The fine print:

• A winning hit is one that passes over the outfield fence of Petco Park, in fair territory, without bouncing on the field (a home run). The ultimate determination of whether a hit constitutes a home run shall be made by the Padres, in its sole and absolute discretion.
  • Winners shall receive two (2) 2014 regular season tickets in the “Upper Infield” section (the “Prize”).
  • Participants who played Division I collegiate or professional baseball (whether major, minor or independent league) are not eligible for the Prize.

That last one just bummed Jose Canseco the heck out.

1. El Bravo - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I gotta believe there’s some Div II or III schools that have produced a ballplayer that could do that on a good day. Either that or just bring in a Cuban defector that hasn’t signed yet. This is possible I think.

• shiplore - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Padres OF Chris Denofria played D3 at Wheaton College in Mass.

• yahmule - Feb 28, 2014 at 12:18 AM

I saw him smash a walkoff homer against Chapman there last year.

8~)

2. tfbuckfutter - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:48 PM

You forgot the last point….

*Also must be able to play Center Field.

3. jcmeyer10 - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM

The Marlins and Astros do it to find talent that they can pay the minimum too.

4. beefytrout - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:59 PM

And you have to use their bat and their helmet. And you only get one swing (and a maximum of 2 pitches total).

5. daveitsgood - Feb 26, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I’ve been to games where they’ve had professional softball power hitters (think Golf long drive competition, but with beer league softball players hitting slow pitch softballs) play HRD before the games and crank softballs out of the major league parks. I have to believe that a softball is harder to drive out of a park than a baseball just due to the size/mass and aerodynamics, I’m sure they could crank it out and the rules didn’t say anything about Pro softball players.

• hansob - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:34 AM

one difference: Wood bats.

• pinkfloydprism - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Yeah, those softball players are using shaved composite bats and the hardest softball available. This allows them to hit the ball that far. I have used a shaved bat and hit a ball well over 350 feet. So, what they are doing really does not compare to the wood bat and a baseball. I play in a wood bat league for baseball now, and the best hit I have had is 320 feet off the fence. So much harder.

6. vincentbojackson - Feb 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Petco Field Dimensions:

334 left field line
    396 center
    322 right field line

Typical high school field:

315-320 down the lines
    390-400 in center

Hardly an impossible feat for most good high schoolers and beer league softball guys.

The equalizer is the wood bats. I took BP at Great American ballpark where the Reds play and we were given cracked BP bats from the Reds clubhouse. Got about 20 pitches and my best was a one-hopper off the left centerfield wall.

• mccontrary - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM

However, the wind blows in viciously from right center knocking fly balls down all day long. That’s why pitchers in decline sign one-year contracts with the Padres. They punch up their stats and sign a better deal with a major league team the next year.

7. sfm073 - Feb 26, 2014 at 6:29 PM

With a wood bat and only two pitches does make it near impossible. Give me a metal bat and at least 20 pitches I could do it.

8. themanytoolsofignorance - Feb 26, 2014 at 6:32 PM

20 yeas ago? No problem. Now? I’d like a paramedic standing by, my affairs in order and a driving wind.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 26, 2014 at 6:58 PM

What’s that? Speak up sonny, I believe I heard you say that you were gonna pass wind?

• themanytoolsofignorance - Feb 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I’d smack you with my cane if i could catch you

9. tn16 - Feb 26, 2014 at 7:47 PM

There’s lots of High school guys that use wood bats in there league that will have a easy time hitting a bomb there, and softball players can hit the ball farther because they use metal bats and hit a heaver ball, so the ball can go farther

10. stercuilus65 - Feb 26, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I doubt beer league softball guys could even catch up with a baseball size batting practice pitch. Their bellies get too much in the way.

11. johnnysoda - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I think it would be easier to just buy the tickets.

12. xmatt0926x - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:29 PM

If the 2 pitch thing is true, that’s what makes it almost impossible. Otherwise I don’t think it would be such a miraculous feat from a guy who’s in good shape and reasonably strong to jerk one down the line and over the fence.

13. chaseutley - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Love it!

14. thepittsburghkid - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM

2 pitches? That’s really tough. I could definitely do it but not in 2 pitches.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3342)