Feb 26, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
I leave for spring training in Florida tomorrow. Masahiro Tanaka makes his spring training debut on Saturday. Oh, providence!
I was at Yu Darvish‘s spring training debut in Arizona a couple of years ago. The pitching itself was kind of boring — he had good stuff but also gave up a lot of sharp hits — but it was a wild scene overall. The media throngs, the pumped-up fans and the general excitement of the debut of a much-awaited and little-seen pitcher. I figure that the Tanaka experience will be like that multiplied by about a hundred. Everything is bigger in New York. Even when New York is in Tampa for a couple of months.
I’ll be posting live from Tanaka-palooza on Saturday. Be here/there or be square.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 7
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)