Feb 26, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
I leave for spring training in Florida tomorrow. Masahiro Tanaka makes his spring training debut on Saturday. Oh, providence!
I was at Yu Darvish‘s spring training debut in Arizona a couple of years ago. The pitching itself was kind of boring — he had good stuff but also gave up a lot of sharp hits — but it was a wild scene overall. The media throngs, the pumped-up fans and the general excitement of the debut of a much-awaited and little-seen pitcher. I figure that the Tanaka experience will be like that multiplied by about a hundred. Everything is bigger in New York. Even when New York is in Tampa for a couple of months.
I’ll be posting live from Tanaka-palooza on Saturday. Be here/there or be square.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)