Mike Schmidt is joining the Phillies’ broadcast team

Feb 26, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Schmidt_1

Jamie Moyer and Matt Stairs are already on board as new Phillies’ announcers. Now here comes a Hall of Famer:

Mike Schmidt will join CSN’s broadcast team this season for all 13 Sunday home games at Citizens Bank Park, the Daily News has learned.

Schmidt, a 12-time All-Star with the Phillies, will join play-by-play man Tom McCarthy and either Stairs or Moyer in a three-man booth for the home Sunday broadcasts. The entire broadcast team will work all nine innings.

The good: Schmidt generally gives off an “I don’t care what I say” vibe when he’s interviewed, so maybe he’ll say some provocative things in the booth. ┬áThe bad: yet another three-man booth, which is really just death. Too many guys trying to justify their presence leads to too much talk about things other than the game at hand.

1. yardleyphils - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Schmidt, sadly, is not in TBSOHL.

• Old Gator - Feb 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM

No, but he does look like Bruce Dern in that photo.

2. halladaysbiceps - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:46 AM

I love it! The greatest 3rd baseman in the history of baseball and the greatest Phillie that ever lived will be in the booth for 13 games this year. I don’t like Comcast and recently dumped them in favor of Verizon because their bill became a car payment, but I like what they did in bringing Moyer, Stairs and now Schmidt. Oh yeah, baby! I dig it!

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Phillies never had the greatest anything in the history of baseball, id take Brooks over him anyday of the week

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Brooks Robinson over Mike Schmidt? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha!…….Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

• shutdownespn - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:07 AM

If you would take Brooks Robinson over Mike Schmidt, then you don’t know much about baseball. Elite offensive production plus average defense is FAR more valuable than elite defense plus above average offense, and it isn’t even close.

I am most certainly not a Phillies fan, but the only real competition Mike Schmidt has for the title of best third baseman of all time is Alex Rodriguez. And even that is tenuous, since it would require counting all of Rodriguez’s career as “third base,” on top of overlooking the PED angle.

• zzalapski - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:21 AM

“If Schmidt had hit .320, he woud be the greatest player who ever lived. Even at 50 points lower, he’s the greatest third baseman ever.” – Bill James, Baseball Historical Abstract

• Old Gator - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:43 AM

It’s good to know that our virtual village idiot is an imbecile about something besides the Feather Lice, isn’t it? Such versatility/

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Oh I wouldn’t stop with Brooks either, Id take Nettles over him, id especially take George Brett over him and id take Boggs over him. Brett would be the best in the post pitcher era and Brooks would be the best during the pitcher era. Did I mention how much I hate phillly and philly sports? Especially hate their fans

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I was bored today old gasser I wanted to stir things up on this board

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:47 AM

dirtydiaper1971,

I have chunks of guys like you in my stools.

• Old Gator - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM

‘cepts – I would have thought you’d cannibalize a much better class of moron that that. This one’s got no brain to eat in the first place.

Poor Dim Harry – then you must be perpetually bored. That’s usually due to extreme stupidity, which blocks access of interesting information to the cortex.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Correct, Gator. Dirtydiaper1971 isn’t in my troll category. He gives my profession a bad name.

• stex52 - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Not too trash Brooks too much. He was a great player, and a ton of fun to watch in the field. My only negative on him is that he wasn’t Mike Schmidt.

And you are right, ‘Cepts. Some people aren’t worth the effort of a fight.

• schmedley69 - Feb 26, 2014 at 7:30 PM

The feeling is mutual, dirtyharry. We (Phillies fans) hate you too.

3. crispybasil - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Not sure why, but apparently Ruben Amaro Jr. has to write a one page report on who Mike Schmidt is.

4. chadjones27 - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:59 AM

So, is this 3 men in the booth at once? Or are they telling either Stairs or Moyer to stay home on Sundays and do the normal 3-inning rotation? Or, are they each getting 3 innings?

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Sure, in the first three innings Moyer will pitch, then Stairs rotates to 1B and he will man it for the next three, then Schmidt will cover 3B in the final three innings. All clear?

5. chadjones27 - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:00 AM

And it’s starting to seem like they’re trying to field their own alumni team.

6. sdelmonte - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:20 AM

The three-man booth seems to work for the Mets.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:28 AM

It works well for the Mets, yes, but they’re an outlier in this regard. In every other case that I’m aware of, the third man in the booth detracts from the overall quality of the broadcast.

Also, the Mets only run with two for most road games, but you’re right. Gary, Keith, and Ron do a fantastic job together.

7. eagles512 - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:55 AM

He was good when he did it for a bit after retiring. But as long as he’s next to the worst play by play guy in baseball, it won’t really matter.

8. pkswally024 - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Dirtyharry, you sir are a tool. I hate the Yankees and their fans. I hate the brave and the fact that they have no fans. I hate the muts. But you’ll never hear me deny how awesome Mattingly was or Maddox or Strawberry. I love this game. Only fickle people like you would say something so appalling. So from myself and every other Philly fan, take that comment and stick it up your loose butt hole.

• Old Gator - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:01 AM

I think it’s erroneous to call someone a tool when they’re utterly useless for anything.

9. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I love Mike Schmidt. Love him. Love the guy. Boyhood hero of mine, class guy, love him. However……

Those of us of a certain age recall this is not the first go-around for him in the booth, and last time did not work out so hot. At all. He can talk about baseball whimsically, intelligently – but when he suddenly had to do it for a living, it was train wreck. He sounded very forced, come up with dumb things to say, and in the end removed himself from the job.

I hope it works out better this time. But I have to be honest, I cringed when I heard this

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM

It might not be so bad this time since he’s only doing one game a week. I think the worst part of Phillies broadcasts will be that you still have to put up with McCarthy’s nasally “It’s GAAAN!!” home run yell.

10. msadakjl - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Hands down best 3rd baseman EVER. I hate the Phillies.

11. drs76109 - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:31 AM

That’s a lotta people to replace a two-bit pip squeak “color” analyst.

(That said, the Phillies need to gag Wheeler — all of those articles in the local papers yesterday made him sound whiny and pathetic. I doubt that was the intention, but it certainly doesn’t look good for the Phillies)

• chadjones27 - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Welp, my curiosity is peeked. Time to go online and read those articles now, instead of, you know, doing actual work.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2891)