Feb 26, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
It’s pretty rare that Major League Baseball will go out of its way to comment on a political issue, but the league’s public relations arm just sent out the following statement on Twitter, condemning Arizona Senate Bill 1062 which would give Arizonans the right to restrict services to people based on religious beliefs. The controversial bill is meant to specifically target the rights of the LGBT community.
“As the sport of Jackie Robinson, Major League Baseball and its 30 Clubs stand united behind the principles of respect, inclusion and acceptance. Those values are fundamental to our game’s diverse players, employees and fans. We welcome individuals of different sexual orientations, races, religions, genders and national origins.
MLB has a zero-tolerance policy for harassment or discrimination based on sexual orientation, as reflected by our collective bargaining agreement with the MLB Players Association. Accordingly, MLB will neither support nor tolerate any words, attitudes or actions that imperil the inclusive communities that we have strived to foster within our game.”
Arizona Senate Bill 1062 is on the desk of Governor Jan Brewer, waiting to either be signed or vetoed.
UPDATE, 7:50 p.m. ET: According to Yvonne Wingett-Sanchez of the Arizona Republic, Brewer announced Wednesday evening at the Arizona state capitol building that she has officially vetoed Senate Bill 1062.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)