Carlos Beltran doesn’t like Mets officials talking smack about Ruben Tejada

Feb 27, 2014, 10:30 AM EST

mets logo

It’s been a while since Carlos Beltran played for the Mets, but he apparently remembers it well. Indeed, he’s seeing echoes of some of the stuff that happened to him happen to Ruben Tejada. Specifically: anonymous sources speaking ill of the player to the media. Beltran doesn’t like it:

“Anonymous?” Beltran said. “Come on. Anonymous? Come forward, brother. If you have something to say, come forward and say it . . . I’m not surprised,” he said, shaking his head and laughing. “No, I’m not surprised. By anything anymore.”

The story has Beltran saying some more serious things about how such criticism can affect a young player like Tejada. For his part, Sandy Alderson said that it’s just the nature of the beast that someone is going to talk to the media about such things, even if it is regrettable.

This has been going on with the Mets forever, of course. And even if Beltran has a point, it’s never going to stop.

1. halladaysbiceps - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM

The NY media, specifically the NY Post, has a well known history of fabricating stories with “anonymous” sources to stir up crap. I would guess most of it is made up. Beltran should know this. He spent years in NY.

• djpostl - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM

True, but it also has been the Debts Mets M.O. for a while now. Bash the player privately then wax about it “being the nature of the beast” publicly.

Stuff seems to leak out in the Bronx, but more often than not it seems to always have a source attached to it. Can’t say that about Queens.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Yeah. From a Philly guy’s perspective, I agree with you. I see much more negative clubhouse coverage by the media in NY with the Mets as opposed to the Yankees. Why is that? Because the Mets have played poorly for the last few years and the #1 media market in the world needs to trash them further? The Mets got rid of Omar Minaya and now has a capable GM in place with Sandy Alderson that has been rebuilding that club from the ground up. That’s all you can ask for.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Believe me, Cepts, the Mets fans know this. The rags have to write their garbage. Just imagine if there was a salary cap and the Yankees sucked too? The newspapers would blow up.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM

badguyswon,

Agreed. I’ve seen a lot of BS writing in Philly these last 2 years with the Phillies as well, especially with how bad a teammate Jonathan Papelbon is, yet no sources cited nor any fights/arguments with the man. The Philly media is a rag as well. That philly.com website is garbage. No real writers anymore.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Beltran is coming across like a child. He had a nice run there and made huge money. But he bashes them every chance he gets. Screw him.

• whensly - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Yeah there are leaks to the media in all organizations , NY just has more media.

As for these rumors. often many of them are true.

Beltran made a lot of $$ in Queens, played ok and when he wasn’t injured or pouting. When the time came he was caught looking and it wasn’t a rumor, everyone saw it.

Beltran also had a restaurant on 57th Street where he was abusive towards the help and didn’t pay them. He lost in court.

Beltran talked then rookie Jon Neise into getting cosmetic surgery (nose job) and promised to pay for it. Did Carlos pay for it? Nope.

The Mets also traded Beltran into contention SF Giants. so he should shut his sour old yapper.

He may be or have been an awesome hitter but I don’t think much of the guy.

2. jerseyshoregiant - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Never goes on anywhere else, right?

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM

In 2014, it goes on everywhere. “Anonymous” sources are now treated as fact by the media and fans, or so it seems.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Exactly. But if Craig sees Mets or Phillies involved, game on.

3. thedoubleentandres - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I was reading Dan Baum’s book Smoke and Mirrors a while back about the war on drugs

Anyway, he said every time he interviewed someone and they stated that they wanted to remain anonymous he basically said No, forget it, and would go to end the interview.

9 times out of 10 the person would then go on record and tell their story anyway.

I always wonder why so many sportswriters etc. don’t do the same.

4. riggz91 - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM

It’s not that they make crap up, it’s just that there are 30+ officials and managers down there with 10+ papers that cover the team. Someone is bound to say something to someone and why wouldn’t the reporter report it. Same thing with Davis, why would he talk to a reporter then get mad that it was reported? Can’t blame the messenger there, he didn’t even say his words were taken out of context or that he never said that. He said it was a stupid story. Of course it was, but in NY baseball is king and right now there isn’t much else to report, so stuff like that gets reported.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Why don’t these reporters ever cite sources? 1 of 2 reasons. 1. They don’t want to burn a bridge and never get inside info again or 2. They made it up. As a reader, I never know what’s true without a source, so I disregard all anonymous clubhouse BS reports. So should Beltran and Tejada.

• whensly - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:54 PM

You do the interview and then spill too much (it’s what humans do)
        then you say to the reporter “that’s off the record”

The reporter turns it into “rumors”

5. nymets4ever - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Uuh…the Mets are far from the only organization to express dissatisfaction with one of their own players. This is nothing more than an attempt to single them out and further the utterly disgusting “lolmets” meme that exists throughout the media. The haters have reached a new low, and savvy, informed readers won’t buy their garbage for even a second. LGM

• thebadguyswon - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM

When they turn it around, and they will, it will be so much fun to rub back in all these faces.

• dcarroll73 - Feb 27, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I will be waiting (but I won’t hold my breathe because it will take so long that I would turn blue – a very becoming dark Yankee shade, not the bilious Mets/Dodger shade.)

• thebadguyswon - Feb 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM

whatever

6. sdelmonte - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I defended Beltran for years. I thought he was getting all sorts of unfair criticism for one strikeout. I really liked him as a Met. But comments like this make me wonder if my support was misplaced. Maybe he’s right an maybe he’s not, but it’s unprofessional and a bit childish to pick fights with your old team because you are bitter. You want to prove how good you are, Mr. Beltran? Do it with you bat and not with your mouth.

Never mind that sadly, Tejada’s very public record as a player over the past year is a mess and doesn’t need an anonymous source to be self-evident.

• stex52 - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I will make a terrible confession to you, sdel. The way that Beltran left the Astros left a very bad taste in my mouth toward him for a long time. I was a little over the top in my dislike, and the strike three call was very enjoyable. But it was also a step for me in coming to a more reasonable position on him.

But it is hard to say in this case. He is a money grubber (other people will jump my case for it, but if he gives up any to play for a team he doesn’t give up much. And I think the stories about making an offer to play for less with the Yankees are urban legends). But, at the same time he always seems to do well with teammates and coaches. IF (and I say if) the Mets really leaked the comment that was an unfortunate way to handle it. But I’m not sure why he thinks its his business.

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Just imagine if he had played for the Beanbags, Tex.

• stex52 - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:55 AM

That’s another thought, and an interesting one.

But Mets have had a very special place in Houston hearts since 1986. If you catch my drift, a veeerrryyyy special place. Beltran just compounded that.

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I was at all of the home games at Shea for that series. Some of those games were flat out epic. I yelled myself hoarse at the first one, and had to content myself with hooting through a kazoo from a box of Cracker Jacks for the rest of them. That Astros team had nothing of which to be ashamed.

• stex52 - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Still the most fun Astros team in my memory. Which would include all of the Astros teams. Plus the Colt 45’s.

• paperlions - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Yeah, he’s horrible. Took less money to play with the Cardinals, took less money to play with the Yankees…..how dare he go for a big contract the one chance he had to do it? You must hate almost every player in MLB; do you equally hate the players that have signed with your team and the players that left to sign with someone else, because, you know, they were all taking the most money? I mean, Jeter is clearly more of a money grubber, complaining the way he did about a lack of respect from the Yankees when they offered his aged person a 3 year $51M contract.

• stex52 - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:59 PM

No. It was much more the manner in which he and Boras negotiated the contract. It was never in good faith. Shame on Drayton for being fooled. But I don’t have to like it.

Besides, I knew you would be along if I mentioned Beltran as a money grubber.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I used to love the guy. But he really seems like a scumbag mercenary. And one bitter SOB.

• stex52 - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM

He’s a mercenary. No doubt. He played hardball in contracts. That’s the deal. I called him a moneygrubber; there is no particular dislike in that – per paperlions – it is more an observation.

He was also a solid five tools player in his time and by most accounts a good teammate. He gave the Mets decent value for his contract. You can just like him for that and blow off the rest as noise.

That’s probably the best idea.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Very true. He was indeed great for us.

7. jimmyt - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM

The Mets are still a MLB team?

8. thebadguyswon - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Beltran sounds like a bitter child. Enough about the Mets you clown.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM

badguyswon,

I agree will all of your above comments, as a Phillies fan. LOL! Hell, we have the common geography, but we are NE baseball guys first. And Beltran is out of line complaining about a big media market questioning players, correct or incorrect. We don’t know what is truth and what is fiction. Apparently Beltran forgot what media coverage in NY is like.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I just think he’s going too far. He was NOT miserable in NY, he enjoyed being there. But Fred Wilpon says some stupid crap in a magazine and he’s been bitter ever since. Come on.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM

BTW, Ceps, very glad you are back.

9. jfk69 - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM

At the end of the day…IT IS ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY.
    It is how how we keep track.
    ANONYMOUS

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Hahahahaha!

10. lazlosother - Feb 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Meh. I have no problem with Beltran’s comments. He has an opinion and every bit the right to voice it that Alderson or anonymous does. Same as everyone on this site. Some people think that for some vague reason ballplayers should keep their comments to themselves. Then, when players do they complain about how bland Jeter is (to be fair, he is applauded by some for saying nothing).

Go Carlos, this kind of stuff adds at least some interest to the off/spring training season – and he raised an interesting point. When anonymous sources within an organization are talking smack about a young player, how does it affect him?

The Mets seemingly hurt their own chances to trade Ike by doing this very kind of thing. No one knows if they were able to motivate him by doing it and everyone seems to wonder why they continue the practice.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5036)