Feb 27, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks currently have youngsters Didi Gregorius and Chris Owings fighting it out for their shortstop job, but they’ve weighed settling the battle with a trade, the Arizona Republic’s Nick Piecoro reports.
The preference would be to acquire a catcher who could potentially back up Miguel Montero in the near future and eventually supplant him as a starter.
“For us, it would have to be the right deal,” Arizona GM Kevin Towers told Piecoro. “Our biggest needs in our system are catching. If it’s the right, top-notch catching prospect. Someone we could have right behind Miggy. More of an upper-level guy. Maybe a top, upper-end starter. We have a lot of bullpen depth, infielders. Maybe an outfielder, but probably more catching and Double-A, Triple-A type starter.”
Of the two, Owings would likely have the greater trade value because of his offensive potential. Towers might prefer that anyway, as he’s already stated that Gregorius is the favorite to retain the job.
One obvious suitor for either player is the Mets, but Newsday’s Marc Carig says the two sides haven’t talked since the winter meetings. He adds that the Diamondbacks would probably want Travis d’Arnaud in return, which wouldn’t fly. The Mets have another solid catching prospect in Kevin Plawecki, but a source told Carig that he’s not the kind of talent Arizona is requesting.
The Yankees could also use a shortstop of the future, and catching is the one real strength in their farm system; Gary Sanchez has a high ceiling on offense and John Ryan Murphy could be an average regular or at least a really good backup. Towers also has a good working relationship with the Yankees, having worked in their front office before joining the Diamondbacks. A match there could be a possibility.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)