Feb 27, 2014, 7:44 PM EDT
The Astros signed slugger Japhet Amador out of the Mexican League over the winter with the idea of giving him a chance to compete for the first base job during spring training, but he was unable to report to camp last week because his pregnant wife was ill. However, her condition has apparently improved to the point where he’ll be able to join the Astros.
Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle reports that Amador is expected to arrive in Orlando, Florida later this evening and should report to Astros camp tomorrow. It’s not clear when he’ll be ready for game action.
Listed at 6-foot-4, and 305 pounds on the Astros website, Amador is a very big man and he should be an interesting story to follow. The 27-year-old posted massive power numbers in the Mexican League, including 36 home runs last season. Whether that success will translate against advanced competition is the big question, but the rebuilding Astros are willing to take the gamble.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (94)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (93)