Mets get good news on Jon Niese’s shoulder

Feb 27, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT

Jon Niese Getty Images

Jon Niese left Mets camp and traveled back to New York to undergo an MRI exam on his sore shoulder, but Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the news is good.

According to Rubin no new structural damage was found and “Niese should resume throwing within a couple of days.”

Niese had shoulder problems last season too and was diagnosed with a partially torn rotator cuff before actually pitching really well down the stretch, so he’s hardly out of the woods yet. Still, the Mets will always take any good news they can get.

1. sdelmonte - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM

He just wanted a slice of NY pizza and took advantage of the Mets’ largesse.

Or maybe he missed the bitter cold.

(Am very glad this is not immediately serious.)

2. nymets4ever - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM

“Still, the Mets will always take any good news they can get.”

Yea, because clearly nothing bad ever happens to any other team. Seriously, ever! Only the New York Mets have any use whatsoever for good news.

lol…what a pathetic attempt at trolling. I’ve already wasted too much time on it — let’s go Niese!

• stex52 - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:37 PM

You mean the Mets can’t take all the good news they can get?

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Yes, you have wasted a lot of time on trolling. Mainly, your own. And you’ve also wasted everyone else’s time in the process.

• nymets4ever - Feb 27, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Oh the humanity, someone spent 5 seconds reading and disagreeing with my post. I have every right to voice my opinion like anyone else. Don’t like freedom of speech? You’re close enough to Cuba.

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM

No one’s disputing your right to make idiotic, bilious comments. Just pointing out what a waste of a right you make of it.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Mets medical staff says he is a-ok. Therefore, I predict season-ending surgery by June 1.

4. Old Gator - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Well, I’m not the orthopedic surgeon I used to be, so just out of curiosity – isn’t Niese taking some serious chances continuing to pitch with a torn cuff? Wouldn’t he be better orf getting the injury dealt with while it’s still comparatively minor than courting a major rip in the weakened area?

• The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I don’t know enough about the various prognoses, but it’s entirely possible that you’re more likely to be successful pitching with a partially torn rotator cuff than a surgically repaired one. I know it’s definitely not like Tommy John surgery, where the recovery is near 100%.

I found an old article (2007) on the issue, which seemed to indicate that surgery might not be all that great of an option, anyway: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070617&content_id=2032977

No telling how much the procedures have improved since then.

5. xdj511 - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I think the important thing to take away here is “no NEW structural damage”, I guess meaning that the partially torn rotator cuff issue is still there. He really is just a ticking timebomb. I hope he makes it through this season until Harvey comes back.

6. President Charles Logan - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Like it’s going to matter if Jon Niese is healthy or not ?? lol give it up Mets fans .. it’s already over before it starts .

7. ajonesmc931 - Mar 1, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Mets suck

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. J. Hammel (2482)