The powerful, yet dysfunctional, Brewers lineup

Feb 27, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers v Seattle Mariners Getty Images

In trading last year’s leadoff man, Norichika Aoki, and failing to add the quality left-handed-hitting first baseman they wanted, the Brewers have left themselves with the most unbalanced lineup in baseball.

Here are the likely starters, along with my projection for each:

C: Jonathan Lucroy (R) – .283/.337/.443
1B: Mark Reynolds (R) – .231/.328/.455
2B: Scooter Gennett (L) – .270/.311/.382
3B: Aramis Ramirez (R) – .277/.350/.470
SS: Jean Segura (R) – .283/.336/.379
LF: Khris Davis (R) – .231/.315/.428
CF: Carlos Gomez (R) – .250/.306/.444
RF: Ryan Braun (R) – .297/.376/.525

From a production standpoint, that’s not bad at all. A Braun-Ramirez-Lucroy middle-of-the-order should work out fine. Figuring out what to do with the rest of the group is the tough call. It’s clear that Segura is going to get a look as a leadoff man. There’s only the one lefty in Gennett, and he projects as the worst hitter in the group. In fact, Rickie Weeks may still be a better player than Gennett, though if he starts, that leaves the Brewers without any lefties at all, unless maybe Reynolds misses out on the first base job.

Ignoring handedness, Gennett would probably hit eighth, with Segura and Gomez occupying the top two spots in the lineup. But seven righties in a row would be tough. My thought would be to hit Gennett eighth anyway, simply because I don’t think either Davis or Reynolds would do well there. Those two would see oodles of breaking balls out of the zone while hitting ahead of the pitcher.

If Davis and Reynolds both produce well enough to get 450-500 at-bats, the Brewers have a great shot of leading the league in homers. I’m not sure that would put them into the top five in runs scored, though. That will hinge more on Segura, who tapered off badly as last year went along, and Gomez, who had a lifetime .294 OBP and .673 OPS before busting out with a .338 OBP and an .843 OPS last year.

1. chip56 - Feb 27, 2014 at 2:28 PM

My guess is Aramis Ramirez is traded before the deadline.

• bossplayer29 - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:17 PM

The Crew should have not traded away Aoki for an average at best pitcher. They should have kept Aoki in RF and the lead-off spot and mover Braun to !st base.

2. halladaysbiceps - Feb 27, 2014 at 2:40 PM

You made (2) statements:

Title of article: “The powerful, yet dysfunctional, Brewers lineup”

Then in article, you state: “From a production standpoint, that’s not bad at all.”

What is it? It can’t be broken (dysfunctional) if you later state it’s not that bad of an offensive lineup.

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I think he covered himself by pointing out that they could hit a lot of home runs but still not drive in a lot of runs.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM

That may be true, but this writer contradicts himself a lot and has a history of it.

• Matthew Pouliot - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Do you want to compare histories, buddy?

My point was the individual players look pretty productive, but that they don’t exactly mesh well.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Yeah, I do, Dick. Your articles suck and I have been reading your crap for the last 3 years. And I ain’t the only one that thinks your slant on baseball sucks.

Compare histories? Yeah, I’m not a boot-licking, metric a-hole like you.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Matthew,

Here’s another thought of mine. Your point was that as individual players the Brewers look productive, but their lineup doesn’t mesh well. Well, you and the metric people told me for the last several years that lineup makeup doesn’t matter. Stats only dictate results. A 4-hole hitter is nonsense and who bats behind him is inconsequential. Remember these arguments?

Sounds like doubletalk to me.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Being powerful and dysfunctional often go hand in hand. Just look at Congress.

• rhandome - Feb 27, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I for one would enjoy this site a lot more if trolling and personal attacks weren’t allowed. I mean the above poster straight up called the author of the article a “bootlicking a-hole.” That sort of thing just lowers the level of discourse and shouldn’t be tolerated. Just my 2 cents.

• nymets4ever - Feb 27, 2014 at 8:37 PM

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. The writers here are not above anyone, if they want respect maybe they should try giving it first. Besides, if you read the comments, Pouliot is the one who truly escalated the whole thing.

• djpostl - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Ah, almost bought what you had to say then saw the handle. You clearly have no class therefore wouldn’t understand the concept of civility rhandome was referring to.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Thanks, nymets4ever. You are correct. If anyone on this site writes nonsense, like Mr. Metric, they are open for due criticism because of the double-talk of the saber community.

3. acepicker4 - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Lineup shows Gomez with a .306 obp and .750 ops. Last line says he broke out with .338 and .843. I’m not generally a nit picker but it looks like some kind of error was made here.

• acepicker4 - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Yes there was an error and it was me. Serves me right for trying to sneak read articles at my work desk.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 27, 2014 at 4:57 PM

While it would be nice to have another lefty or 2 in the lineup isn’t it better just to have a better hitter regardless of which side he hits from? Same goes with pitchers. Yeah a good lefty is nice to have but isn’t it better to have a righty if he’s just a better pitcher.

• zzalapski - Feb 27, 2014 at 5:20 PM

With regard to this, this article may have been more informative if platoon splits were included.

• clemente2 - Feb 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM

See spud’s comment below.

5. spudchukar - Feb 27, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Braun
    Ramirez
    Gomez
    Reynolds
    Davis
    Gennett

At least that way there is a better chance to get a runner on for Braun. Also if Carlos Gomez is actually as good as he was last year his bat plays in the middle of the order just fine or you can move him back up.

7. schuch10 - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM

I wonder if there has been serious discussion of batting Braun second? Give Gomez or Segura a chance to lead off and flip them if one struggles. Or, based on last year’s splits, bat Gomez leadoff versus LHP and Segura versus RHP.

8. Tim's Neighbor - Feb 28, 2014 at 1:30 AM

I get that there may be possible flaws in the lineup, but dysfunctional probably wasn’t the best word choice. I’m loathe to agree w HalladaysBicepts, but the title of this article was pretty silly.

9. dylanthom2013 - Feb 28, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Remember when Braun had that press conference where he had all his teammates lined up behind him in an awe-inspiring tear-inducing we-are-family moment while he told the world he didn’t do PED’s? But *gasp* it turns out he DID. I wonder if maybe his teammates are itching to take him out onto the street, lie him down facedown with his mouth open and teeth biting into the corner of the sidewalk, and curbstomp the lying Lance Armstrong-like hypocritical bi_ch until his skull is in pieces. Sure they’d miss his 30 HR’s, but I bet they wouldn’t miss the noxious fumes he emits everytime he opens his yawning cavernous crevasse of bullsh_t.

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka