Feb 27, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Zack Greinke‘s spring training debut lasted all of three pitches, as the Dodgers right-hander left the mound and headed into the clubhouse with trainer Stan Conte by his side.
He’s been diagnosed with a strained right calf, which is just about the best-case scenario from leaving in the middle of an at-bat. Manager Don Mattingly came to the mound and had an extended conversation with Greinke, who threw a couple warm-up pitches to test the injury before eventually leaving the game.
The only good news? This means he probably wouldn’t get much criticism for skipping the Australia trip.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (186)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)