Zack Greinke leaves start after three pitches with injury

Feb 27, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Zack Greinke AP AP

Zack Greinke‘s spring training debut lasted all of three pitches, as the Dodgers right-hander left the mound and headed into the clubhouse with trainer Stan Conte by his side.

He’s been diagnosed with a strained right calf, which is just about the best-case scenario from leaving in the middle of an at-bat. Manager Don Mattingly came to the mound and had an extended conversation with Greinke, who threw a couple warm-up pitches to test the injury before eventually leaving the game.

The only good news? This means he probably wouldn’t get much criticism for skipping the Australia trip.

1. stex52 - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Hell, now I’d go. He won’t have to pitch. Maybe he can sightsee. Or sit quietly in his room rocking back and forth if he prefers, I guess.

2. ez4u2sa - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:57 PM

So much for off season conditioning….

• karlkolchak - Feb 27, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Surprised it wasn’t a mouth strain.

• ezthinking - Feb 28, 2014 at 2:04 AM

^ irony?

3. ch0psuey - Feb 27, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Ah well crap, we are all.teary eyed over.this one.

4. Old Gator - Feb 27, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Nothing heals a strained calf muscle like a nice medium rare kangaroo steak.

• karlkolchak - Feb 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Washed down with a few pints of draft Fosters. Mmmm….yeah, that’s the ticket.

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2014 at 10:09 AM

How are you going to measure out “a few pints” when you tip one of those Fosters oil drums down your gullet?*

*I suspect that most Yanks haven’t seen the size of the cans the stuff comes in down in Oz.

5. steve7921 - Feb 27, 2014 at 4:30 PM

I smell something fishy!

6. greej1938l - Feb 27, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Ooooo sooo fragile

7. roundballsquarebox24 - Feb 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM

He actually threw four pitches. He got the leadoff man with 2 pitches, and then threw 2 more pitches to the next guy.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Oh. Well, that is much better.

• roundballsquarebox24 - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I was just pointing out that detail because I was watching the game, that’s all.

8. pauleee - Feb 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM

The strained calf muscle is THE injury for the 2014 season, replacing the oblique strain from 2013.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Strained calf muscles are so hot right now

• gmfw7 - Feb 28, 2014 at 9:38 AM

i don’t know if anyoine else did, but i immideately read your reply in a kim kardashian voice, and it made me lol.

9. olderose - Feb 27, 2014 at 5:52 PM

For those not old enough or well-enough versed, Dizzy Dean’s career was cut short when he tried to pitch with an ingrown nail on the big toe of his landing foot. The discomfort caused him to alter his delivery, which stressed his arm in unaccustomed ways, doing irreversible harm. You could look it up. BTW, they do not come any tougher or more competitive than Zack Greinke. Sure, you can name a lot of malingerers who would feign such a soft-tissue injury, starting with Yossarian; so could I. But my money says that Zack is not on that list.

• clydeserra - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I thought it was a broken toe from the all star game?

And nobody is old enough to know that. We only know it from reading about it.

• stex52 - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I also heard (from many years ago) that it was a broken toe hit by a baseball that altered his delivery.

• missingdiz - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Earl Averill hit a line drive off Diz’s toe in the 1937 All-Star game. Said Diz (reportedly): “Fractured, hell, the damn thing’s broken!”

Everything starts with the feet; ask Albert Pujols. Or maybe Achilles.

If Greinke’s calf really is strained, then he should rest it. It’s still February, for goodness sake.

10. Professor Fate - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:08 PM

He’s already taken quite a bit of well-earned criticism for his “candor” about the Australia trip. Skipping it altogether would have been a good idea, but without having to do so because of injury.

11. nymets4ever - Feb 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Having a tough time mustering any sympathy for this ethnocentric assclown.

• missingdiz - Feb 27, 2014 at 8:57 PM

It’s not cool to be pedantic, I know. But I think you mean “egocentric.”

• nymets4ever - Feb 27, 2014 at 9:06 PM

No, I was referring to his hatred of pitching one game outside his home country.

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2014 at 6:56 AM

“Ethnocentric?” Heh….Breaking up the monotony with a slightly different kind of dumb, are we?

• thenameisbootsy - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Pretty sure the vast majority of Australians are the same ethnicity as Greinke.

• dan1111 - Feb 28, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Hi comments were clearly about the effect the trip will have on the baseball schedule and preparation for the season. Yeah, they were ill-advised, but he didn’t say “I hate people from other countries”.

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Mutts4ever operates on a different plane of illogic from most of us. He doesn’t need to analyze what was ackcherley said. He just gropes around through the cobwebs for the most appropriate gout of bile and discharges it here. I don’t know why he shows up here, since he seems to hate everything about this site – maybe other sites have ticketed him for illegal dumping and he needed a more lassez-faire environment or something.

12. cackalackyank - Feb 27, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Ervin Santana approves of this post.

13. rcali - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I jammed my finger playing hoops and I still put in a good days work replying to multiple emails, while sending out others. Did my boss send me home after my third email, no.

• sportsdrenched - Feb 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Yes, but you’re in the middle of Emailing Season. Had you jammed your finger during the Emailing Pre-Season, there would have been no reason for you to keep emailing. A good boss would have sent you home to get healthy for the regular season…when those emails actually counted.

14. darman55 - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Let’s see. He made it clear he’s not happy about going to Australia and now he comes up with this injury. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. And I know it’s been several years, but as a Giants fan, it still is quite disconcerting seeing Stan Conte as the Dodger’s trainer.

15. sportsdrenched - Feb 28, 2014 at 10:01 AM

It became clear when Planet Zack was in the minor leagues that he has no filter on the stuff that he says. One of the Wichita sports radio stations has a sound bite of him saying if he were instructed to IBB a guy, he’d just hit the batter and save 3 pitches.

In this day and age of corporate non-answers from anyone around professional sports, I like that Zack has no filter, whether I agree with him or not.

We need to encourage more of this.

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Yep, and we need to encourage Latin American and European soccer fans to drink more, too.

16. yordo - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Whenever Greinke leaves with an “injury”, you can just assume it’s another mental breakdown.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3229)