A most interesting ball

Feb 28, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

LAKELAND, FLORIDA — You know, you never handle your luggage in the show? Somebody else carries your bags. It’s great. You hit white balls for batting practice, the ballparks are like cathedrals, the hotels all have room service, and the women all have long legs and brains.

Well, maybe not the white balls part. At least not in spring training.  Meet Richard DeConcilio, from Lakeland, Florida:

source:

He’s here today for the Yankees-Tigers game, and I started talking to him during batting practice because he yelled something about how a bottle of water left on the field was really “A-Rod’s growth hormone!” He seemed like my kind of guy, so I went over. I was specifically interested in the ball he was holding, which he told me was a home run ball he caught during the Tigers-Florida Southern game on Tuesday:

source:

Yep, they were using leftover — and apparently well-used — 2013 playoff balls in a spring training game. Which, while 100% understandable and sensible, just strikes me as kind of neat and odd.

I’m going to assume that was the ball that Jarrod Saltalamacchia tagged Prince Fielder with on the flop play at third base in Game 6 of the ALCS.

1. nymets4ever - Feb 28, 2014 at 2:40 PM

“the women all have long legs and brains.”

What the hell is this supposed to mean?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I means he is trying to get Philiac to call him sexist.

• larrymahnken - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Women do get wooly, because of all the stress.

• larrymahnken - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM

“You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!”

“Lollygaggers!”

“Lollygaggers.”

• someguyinva - Feb 28, 2014 at 8:20 PM

“What’s our record, Larry?”

“8 and 16″

“8 and 16… How’d we ever win 8?”

“It’s a miracle.”

“It’s a miracle.”

• raysfan1 - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Guess you never watched “Bull Durham.” Otherwise you’d know a direct quote when you saw one.

2. dowhatifeellike - Feb 28, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Reminds me of little league. We got one shiny, new ball for each game and a decent used ball from a previous game as a backup. Beyond that, we were out of luck.

• moogro - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I’ve seen it go down to someone luckily having one rolling around in the trunk of their car.

• dowhatifeellike - Feb 28, 2014 at 10:41 PM

We always had 4 or 5 practice balls in the “team bag” that held the catcher’s gear and an old wood bat, but they were probably older than the kids using them. We did our best not to use them in games, which sometimes required sending people into the woods to find the game ball.

3. yahmule - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Amazed that those weren’t affixed with Red Sox and Cardinals autographs, certified for authenticity (with a signed 3X5 card, thus unimpugnable) and put on the collectables market after a 2700% markup.

4. floriojr - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:13 PM

that guy has a HUGE head

• moseskkim - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:31 PM

doesnt look THAT big. his body is big and his head actually looks small cuz his of his large body.

• floriojr - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I think you are right but I was being nice and didn’t want to call him Shrek but that head looks like its hurting the hat

5. beachnbaseball - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:22 PM

That ball looks like it went through a blender. Or maybe it banged around in the parking lot?

6. tywebb76 - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM

since you are quoting a movie at the top don’t you think that you should at least give proper credit and quotes, like this:

“You know, you never handle your luggage in the show? Somebody else carries your bags. It’s great. You hit white balls for batting practice, the ballparks are like cathedrals, the hotels all have room service, and the women all have long legs and brains.” – Crash Davis (Bull Durham 1988)

Cool story either way.

• dondada10 - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I’ve seen grammar nazis on the internet, but never citation nazis. Congratulations.

• apmn - Feb 28, 2014 at 6:14 PM

-apmn, 2014

• kalinedrive - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Wow, what a stickler. If anyone on this site hasn’t seen Bull Durham and didn’t get the reference, I’m surprised and a bit dismayed.

Does everyone use a bibliography on the Internet? Hell, I quote stuff all the time, partly to see who gets the references and who doesn’t. Does that make me part of the axis of evil. (GWB, 2002)

• larrymahnken - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:39 PM

nymets4ever apparently hasn’t seen it.

• sw19womble - Feb 28, 2014 at 7:42 PM

I’ve seen the film, but didn’t pick up on the quote.

Without wishing to be branded as a citation nazi (actually, I don’t give a flying pig) – it would have helped (and triggered a google search) if Craig had used quotation marks… or to say “to paraphrase Crash Davis” at the start if it’s an interpolation.

People saying it doesn’t matter only need look at nymets and myself as the tip of an iceberg of ignorance.

Like I said, if there’d been quotation marks or a subtle reference, then it would have made more sense. :)

• someguyinva - Feb 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM

…said the person whose commenter name came in large part from a movie?

• ramrene - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM

>Like I said, if there’d been quotation marks or a subtle reference, then it would have made more sense.

Nobody writes to dumb down. Time for you to step up.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4432)